Changes (Tupac Shakur song)
|Single by 2Pac featuring Talent|
|from the album Greatest Hits|
|Released||October 13, 1998|
|Format||CD single, cassette single, 12" single, 7" single|
|Recorded||1992 (Remixed from 1997-1998)|
|Genre||Conscious hip hop|
|Label||Interscope, Amaru, Death Row|
|2Pac featuring Talent singles chronology|
"Changes" is a hip hop song by 2Pac, the song was originally recorded during his tenure at Interscope records in 1992 and was produced by Deon Evans. Changes was later remixed during 1997-1998. The song re-uses lines from "I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto" which was recorded during the same year. The song samples the 1986 hit "The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby and the Range. The chorus of "The Way It Is" was re-sung by Talent and was used for this song. At times 2Pac re-used lines from other unreleased songs because he planned to make an updated version at a later date. However, since his death many of the unreleased and unmastered songs are being officially released. The song makes references to the Black Panther Party, the war on drugs, the treatment of black people by the police, and the difficulties of life in the ghetto. "Changes" remains one of 2Pac's most notable and popular songs.
The song was the #1 hit in Norway and The Netherlands and reached the top ten in the singles charts of several other countries, including #3 in the United Kingdom. Released posthumously on his album Greatest Hits, the song talks about all of the different issues that were related to 2Pac's era of influence - notably racism, police brutality, drugs and gang violence.
"Changes" was nominated for Best Rap Solo Performance at the Grammy Awards of 2000 and remains the only posthumous song to be nominated in this category. The "Huey" that 2Pac mentions in the song ("two shots in the dark, now Huey's dead") is Huey P. Newton, founder of the Black Panther Party.
The song refers to the possibility of a black President of the United States, claiming 'we ain't ready'. Further, the last verse of the song refers to Shakur's anxiety about being shot to death, mimicking the sound of a gun with the phrase "rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat".
The Chris Hafner-directed music video is a compilation of a number of previous music videos 2Pac released in addition to home videos and never-before-seen pictures, similar to the format of The Notorious B.I.G.'s "Dead Wrong", also released in 1999.
The song is an interpretation of the 1986 hit "The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby and the Range. Bay Area rapper E-40 had interpreted the song already on his track, "Things'll Never Change", for his album Tha Hall of Game. The Tupac "Changes" instrumental was used by Insane Clown Posse in "Mom Song", a Mother's Day song. Nas also sampled the song for his song "Black President".
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||6|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||2|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||11|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||7|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||1|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||3|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||12|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||38|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
- Ascap entry for song ASCAP, accessed May 1, 2011
- "Australian-charts.com – 2 Pac – Changes". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "2 Pac – Changes – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – 2 Pac – Changes" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – 2 Pac – Changes" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Danishcharts.com – 2 Pac – Changes". Tracklisten.
- "Lescharts.com – 2 Pac – Changes" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – 2 Pac search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – 2 Pac – Changes". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – 2 Pac – Changes". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – 2 Pac – Changes". Singles Top 60.
- "2 Pac – Changes – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "2Pac Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for 2Pac.
- "2Pac Album & Song Chart History" Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for 2Pac.
- "2Pac Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for 2Pac.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.