Channel Zero (band)
|Genres||Heavy metal, thrash metal, groove metal|
|Labels||Shark Records, Play it again Sam, Roadrunner Records|
|Associated acts||Soulfly, Skitsoy, Sons of Jonathas, Cyclone, Sixty Nine|
|Members||Franky De Smet Van Damme
|Past members||Phil Baheux
Channel Zero is a Belgian heavy metal band, formed in Brussels, Belgium, in 1990. They are one of the best known heavy metal bands from Belgium and were often referred to as "the Belgian Metallica."[by whom?] They disbanded at the height of their career in 1997, however in 2009, the band announced a series of reunion gigs starting in January 2010.
They achieved their breakthrough with the album Unsafe in 1994. The album featured guest vocals of Billie Milano of S.O.D. and Richard 23 of Front 242. Their last studio album Black Fuel was released in 1996.
In 1997, the band announced their break-up. They released one last live album of their performance at Marktrock, Leuven in 1997, simply titled Live. Franky De Smet Van Damme went on to form his own band Skitsoy, while Xavier Carion later formed Sons of Jonathas.
In 2010, the band played six reunion shows in the AB concert hall in Brussels. The first three sold out within 49 minutes, and the next two announced one week later, again sold out.
A single, "Black Flowers", was released in January 2010. On 5 April 2010, de Smet revealed that they are working on a new album, during an interview he gave during 'De zwaarste lijst', a radio show on the Belgian radio station, Studio Brussel.
The band's former drummer, Phil Baheux, died on 10 August 2013, at the age of 45.
On October 2013, the band announced that they will continue the work made on the new album, with Roy Mayorga playing the drums.
- Current members
- Franky De Smet-Van Damme – vocals (1990-1997, 2010-present)
- Tino De Martino – bass (1990-1997, 2010-present)
- Mikey Doling – guitars (2010-present)
- Roy Mayorga - drums - studio sessions only (2013-present)
- Former members
- Channel Zero (Shark Records – 1992)
- Stigmatized For Life (Shark Records – 1993)
- Unsafe (Play it again Sam – 1994)
- Black Fuel (Play it again Sam – 1997)
- Feed 'Em with a Brick (Roadrunner Records – 2011)
- Kill All Kings (CNR - to be released April 2014)
- Live (Play it again Sam – 1997)
- Live at the Ancienne Belgique – CD + DVD (CNR Records / Roadrunner Records – 2010)
- Suck My Energy (Play It Again Sam – 1995)
- Help (Play It Again Sam – 1995)
- Heroin (Play It Again Sam – 1995)
- Fool's Parade (Play It Again Sam – 1996)
- "Run W.T.T." (Play It Again Sam – 1995)
- "Call On Me" (Play It Again Sam – 1997)
- "Black Flowers" (Roadrunner Records – 2010)
- "Hot Summer" (Roadrunner Records – 2011)
- "Graspop Metal Meeting 2011 | June 24-25-26 | Metal festival Belgium â€“ over 70 Metal Bands". Web.archive.org. 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- "Line up - Rock Werchter 2013". Rockwerchter.be. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Doc Rock. "July to December". The Dead Rock Stars Club. Retrieved 2013-08-13.