From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
Character comedy is a method/genre used by some comedians. In character comedy the comedian performs as though he was a character created by him/her. A good deal of comedians have enjoyed fame from character comedy.
Famous comedians who use character comedy
- Paul Reubens - Plays the manic man-child, Pee-wee Herman.
- Jim Carrey – In many of his films he portrays a hyper-animated maniac.
- Andy Kaufman – Various characters.
- George Carlin – Played the character of Al Sleet the "hippy-dippy weatherman" in his stand-up routine.
- Rowan Atkinson – Plays Mr. Bean.
- Tim Allen – Plays a "handyman" in Home Improvement and his stand up routines.
- Sacha Baron Cohen - Plays Ali G, Borat Sagdiyev, and Brüno in Da Ali G Show and the subsequent film follow-ups: Ali G Indahouse, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, and Brüno.
- Andrew Dice Clay - Has played the 'Diceman' character for most of his stand-up career.
- Stephen Colbert - performs a fictional version of himself as he hosts The Colbert Report, and when he was a correspondent on The Daily Show
- Steve Coogan famously created several characters in his act spinning one of them, Alan Partridge into TV shows
- Sam Lloyd - Various Characters
- Maria Bamford
- Dom Irrera