Chardon High School
|Chardon High School|
A Legacy of Pride, a Future of Promise
|151 Chardon Avenue
Chardon, Ohio, (Geauga County), 44024
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Chardon Local School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Michael P. Hanlon, Ph.D.|
|Faculty||60.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.2|
|Color(s)||Red and Black |
|Athletics conference||Premier Athletic Conference|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Doug Snyder|
Chardon High School (commonly Chardon, Chardon High, or CHS), is a public high school in Chardon, Ohio, USA, serving students in grades 9-12. The school is part of the Chardon Local School District, with admission based primarily on the location of students' homes. As of the 2005-06 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,153 students and 60.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student-teacher ratio of 19.2.
On February 27, 2012, six students were shot in a shooting at the school, with the shooter identified as 17-year-old T.J. Lane. According local news reports, the suspect chose the six victims at random, countering early reports that a group of students were targeted. Three of the shooting victims died. All Chardon local schools were immediately closed following the shooting, while the high school was put under a lock-down procedure. The entire school district was closed on Tuesday, February 28. The district board also canceled classes in all schools until Friday, with numerous counseling services available until then. On March 19, 2013, Lane was given three life sentences, one for each victim killed in the shooting.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Track and Field - Emil Heineking - 3200m - 2007
- Boys Cross Country - Emil Heineking - 2006
- Boys Track and Field - Ben Robinson - 800m - 2004
- Boys Tennis - Stephen Rozek - 2002
- Boys Wrestling - Danny Anderson - 1997
- Boys Football - 1994
- Boys Wrestling - Hank Inderlied - 1985
- Boys Wrestling - Mike Davies - 1982, 1983
- Girls Cross Country - 1978, 1979
- Girls Track and Field - Juanita Vetter - One Mile Run - 1979
- Boys Wrestling - Mark Vetter - 1978
- Boys Wrestling - Leroy Kemp - 1973, 1974
- Boys Cross Country - 1972
- "Chardon High School". Chardon High School. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Chardon High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- "Student shot at Ohio high school dies, police say". CNN. 2012-02-27.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.