|Breeder||Parrish Hill Farm & William S. Farish|
|Owner||Bob and Beverly Lewis|
|Trainer||D. Wayne Lukas|
Lexington Stakes (1999)Triple Crown classic race wins:
Kentucky Derby (1999)
Preakness Stakes (1999)
|U.S. Champion 3-Yr-Old Colt (1999)
United States Horse of the Year (1999)
NTRA "Moment of the Year" (1999)
|Last updated on October 3, 2006|
Charismatic (foaled March 13, 1996) is a stallion Thoroughbred horse, and is known as one of the closest challengers to the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing since the last winner, Affirmed, accomplished the feat in 1978. He was trained by D. Wayne Lukas and ridden in the Triple Crown races by Chris Antley. Today, he stands at stud at Iburi Stallion Station in Japan, operated by the Japan Bloodhorse Breeders Association.
His sire was Summer Squall, making him a third-generation descendant of both Secretariat and Northern Dancer, and his broodmare was Bali Babe. His succession from Weekend Surprise gives him blood relation to A.P. Indy, while his grandsire, Storm Bird, gives him blood relation to Storm Cat and Birdstone. He was bred under a foal-sharing arrangement between William S. Farish and the Parrish Hill Farm of Dr. Ben and Tom Roach.
He was a 31-1 longshot in the 125th Kentucky Derby on May 1, 1999, and won the race with a time of 2:03.20 around the 1¼ mile track. Charismatic finished by a head in front of Menifee, giving Menifee's trainer, Elliott Walden, his second Kentucky Derby place showing in his second entry. Cat Thief, also trained by Lukas, was third, and led most of the race. The win denied trainer Bob Baffert his third straight Derby victory. His three entries, two of which were co-favorites at 9-2 odds, failed to make the top three.
Charismatic also won the 124th Preakness Stakes on May 15 with a time of 1:55.20 around the 1 3/16 mile track. He was 1½ lengths ahead of Menifee, again second, with Badge finishing third. Despite the Kentucky Derby win, Charismatic was not the Preakness favorite, posting 8-1 odds. Menifee was the favorite at 5-2.
At the 131st Belmont Stakes on June 5, Charismatic was a 2-1 favorite, with Menifee second in odds at 7-2. The rivalry between Charismatic and Menifee was compared to Affirmed and Alydar in 1978. Charismatic looked like he would become the first horse in 21 years to win the Triple Crown, taking the lead in the final furlong. However, the horse faded and lost the lead to eventual winner Lemon Drop Kid with 1/8 mile to go, ultimately finishing third behind second-place Vision and Verse. Sensing something wrong, Chris Antley jumped off Charismatic and held up the colt's left front leg, which was broken in two places. Many say Antley's actions saved Charismatic's life, and the horse underwent career-ending surgery the following morning. The moment was selected by racing fans as the 1999 National Thoroughbred Racing Association Moment of the Year.
It was revealed later that Antley felt the break in the final furlong and eased Charismatic up to avoid a catastrophic injury.
Charismatic finished his career with 5 wins, 2 places and 4 shows in 17 career starts, for total earnings of $2,038,064. He won the Eclipse Awards for 3-year-old Colt of the Year and Overall Horse of the Year for 1999.
A film about Charismatic and Chris Antley was produced by Asylum Entertainment and directed by Steven Michaels, Joel Surnow, and Jonathan Kochas for ESPN's 30 for 30 series. It aired on Tuesday, October 18, 2011, at 8 p.m.
dark brown 1959
|Cap and Bells
|What A Pleasure
- JBBA[dead link]
- "CNN/SI - 1999 Kentucky Derby - Charismatic wins Kentucky Derby - Sunday May 09, 1999 11:11 AM". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. 1999-05-09. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "CNN/SI - 1999 Preakness". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "CNN/SI - 1999 Belmont Stakes - Charismatic has surgery on broken leg - Monday June 07, 1999 05:50 PM". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. 1999-06-07. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Charismatic Update - Horse Racing - 06/06/99". Horseracing.about.com. 2010-06-16. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- JBIS Japan Bloodstock Information System
- "ESPN Films: Charismatic - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 2008-01-01. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- Charismatic at the JBBA website (in Japanese)
- Charismatic at the Japan Bloodstock Information System (in English)
- Charismatic's Kentucky Derby
- Preakness winners
- Watch Charismatic's dramatic 1999 Kentucky Derby win at the Kentucky Derby website (incompatible with Mozilla Firefox)
- Charismatic's pedigree
- Charismatic: Three-year-old Male of the Year