||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2009)|
CharityVillage.com is a resource website for people involved in Canada's nonprofit sector. Online since 1995, the site was one of the earliest web-based resources for nonprofit staffers and volunteers. It contains more than 3,000 pages of nonprofit news, resources, how-to articles, training, and funding sources. It also offers hundreds of job, volunteer and event listings, all related to Canada's nonprofit sector.
History and activities
CharityVillage.com was founded by Doug Jamieson and Jim Hilborn. The site launched on July 13, 1995 with about 100 pages of content. One of the earliest websites to focus on servicing the nonprofit sector, CharityVillage.com quickly became a resource hub for the thousands of people involved in the sector across Canada.
In 2005, the site launched CharityVillage Campus, the first new paid service offered since its launch. Campus is a series of self-paced, web-based training courses in fundraising and nonprofit management.
From the beginning, the site has focused on providing free resources to help nonprofit staffers and volunteers build their skills and connect with one another. Resources include original research articles and interviews, brief news items, links to nonprofits, funding sources, and other nonprofit-related resources and websites. Site users can post job, volunteer and event listings.
The site is self-sustaining through recruitment and supplier advertising revenue.
The site offers three free e-letter publications:
- Village Vibes A weekly roundup of new additions to the site including short nonprofit news items and longer feature articles, links to online resources and new additions to the Nonprofit Neighbourhood directory of nonprofit organizations.
- eLearning Update A monthly publication focused on skill-building and resources for nonprofit staff and volunteers. Articles focus on fundraising, nonprofit management, and board of directors topics.
- Flow A monthly publication focused on career issues in the nonprofit sector.
- "Ways to donate and volunteer your time". Steven and Chris. 2008-02-25. CBC.
- "Don't give junk this holiday season". CBC Newsworld. 2007-12-21. CBC.
- "CharityVillage's role in the nonprofit sector". CBC Radio Quebec. 2007-12-19. CBC.
- "Giving gifts that matter". Canada AM. 2007-12-14. CTV.
- Bitti, Mary Teresa (2007-08-23). "Non-profits don professional mantle". National Post.
- Bitti, Mary Teresa (2007-05-19). "Hands-on and personal". National Post.