Charles & Eddie
Charles & Eddie were an American soul music duo known principally for the single, "Would I Lie to You", taken from their 1992 debut album, Duophonic. "Would I Lie to You?" won three Ivor Novello Awards in 1993 (for Best Contemporary Song, Best Selling Song and International Hit of the Year).
Charles Pettigrew and Eddie Chacon met in New York. Chacon had grown up in Hayward and Castro Valley, California where he had started his first band at age 12 with neighborhood friends Cliff Burton (Metallica) and Mike Bordin (Faith No More). Later Chacon moved to Los Angeles, Miami, London and Copenhagen where his career moved more into songwriting and production. He wrote several hit songs, mostly in Europe.
Pettigrew, meanwhile, was raised in Philadelphia, and went on to study jazz vocals at the Berklee College Of Music in Boston, while also singing with the Boston favorite, Down Avenue. Around the time of Charles' death he was recording with Tom Tom Club (Chris Franz and Tina Weymouth).
Charles Pettigrew died of cancer on 6 April 2001, at the age of 37.
Chacon is currently residing in Los Angeles and fronting the electronic duo, The Polyamorous Affair, with Sissy Sainte-Marie. In 2009, The Polyamorous Affair released their album, Bolshevik Disco.
- 1992: "Would I Lie to You?" UK #1, US #13
- 1993: "N.Y.C. (Can You Believe This City)" UK #33
- 1993: "House Is Not a Home" UK #29
- 1995: "24-7-365" UK #38
- 1995: "Jealousy"
- 1992: "Would I Lie To You" (on YouTube)
- 1993: True Romance soundtrack ("Wounded Bird")
- 1993: Addams Family Values soundtrack ("Supernatural Thing")
- 1993: Super Mario Bros. soundtrack ("I Would Stop the World")
- 2005: "Would I Lie To You" (remix) (billed as Musikk feat. Eddie Chacon)