Charles Berger (academic)
Berger received his B.S. in Psychology from Pennsylvania State University. After completing his undergraduate studies, he attended Michigan State University where he received his M.A. and Ph.D. in Communication.
His research interests include message production processes and the processing of threat-related messages by intuitive and rational systems.
He is a former editor of Human Communication Research and co-editor (with Sandra Ball Rokeach) of Communication Research. He is a member of several editorial boards of communication journals. He is currently an area editor for the International Encyclopedia of Communication.
He is a Fellow and a Past President of the International Communication Association. He is a co-recipient (with Judee Burgoon) of NCA’s Mark Knapp Award. Berger lives in Davis, California with his wife.
Berger has published over 100 articles and book chapters. He co-edited the first edition of the Handbook of Communication Science with Steven H. Chaffee.
- Berger, Charles R.; Burgoon, Michael (May 1998). Communication and Social Influence Processes. Michigan State University Press. ISBN 978-0870134876.
- Berger, Charles R.; Bradac, James J. (November 1982). Language and Social Knowledge: Uncertainty in Interpersonal Relations. Hodder Arnold. ISBN 978-0713161960.
- Berger, Charles R. (July 1997). Planning Strategic Interaction: Attaining Goals Through Communicative Action. Routledge. ISBN 978-0805823080.
- Roloff, Michael Elwood; Berger, Charles R. (February 1983). Social cognition and communication. Sage Publications. ISBN 978-0803918986.
- Berger, Charles R.; Roloff, Michael Elwood; Ewoldsen, David R. (July 2009). The Handbook of Communication Science. Sage Publications. ISBN 978-1412918138.
- Berger, Charles R.; Calabrese, Richard J. (December 1975). "Some Explorations in Initial Interaction and Beyond: Toward a Developmental Theory of Interpersonal Communication". Human Communication Research 1 (2): 99–112. doi:10.1111/j.1468-2958.1975.tb00258.x.
- Berger, Charles R. (1979). "Beyond initial interaction: Uncertainty, understanding, and the development of interpersonal".
- Berger, Charles R. (1 July 1987). Roloff, Michael E.; Miller, Gerald R., eds. Communicating under uncertainty. Interpersonal Processes: New Directions in Communication Research 14 (SAGE Publications). pp. 39–62. ISBN 978-0-8039-2654-7.
|This article relating to communication is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American sociologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|