Charles Brown (offensive lineman)
Brown in the 2012 NFL season.
No. 71 New York Giants
|Date of birth:April 10, 1987|
|Place of birth: Chino Hills, California|
|High school: Pomona (CA) Diamond Ranch|
|College: Southern California|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 2 / Pick: 64|
|Debuted in 2010 for the New Orleans Saints|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 13, 2013
Charles Rashad Jamaal Brown (born April 10, 1987) is an American football offensive tackle for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He attended and played his college football for the University of Southern California. He was considered one of the best offensive tackles of his draft class.
High school career
Brown attended Diamond Ranch High School in Pomona, California, where he was two-way lineman and tight end. He had 15 receptions for 250 yards and 2 touchdowns as a senior, and earned 2004 Super Prep All-American and several other All-Region honors. On defense, he recorded 10 sacks and more than 70 tackles. He was an All-League second teamer as a 2003 junior and an All-League first teamer as a 2002 sophomore.
Regarded as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Brown was listed as the No. 23 offensive tackle prospect in the nation. Meanwhile, Scout.com considered him a tight end prospect and gave him a four-star rating, placing him 10th on their tight end ranking. Brown chose USC over Oregon and UCLA.
Brown was originally recruited as a tight end by USC, and arrived on campus carrying about 250 pounds (110 kg). He spent the 2005 season as a redshirted freshman tight end, but was switched to offensive tackle in the middle of the season. During his freshman year at USC, he earned the nickname "Peanuts" in reference to the Charles Schulz cartoon character Charlie Brown.
In 2006 Brown was a backup to Sam Baker at left offensive tackle and played on special teams. He appeared in all 13 games in 2006, including 4 games when he saw brief action at tackle. Still a backup to Baker in his sophomore year, Brown appeared in 9 games as tackle and on special teams. He even started at right tackle in the season opener against Idaho. He sprained his ankle prior to the Arizona game and sat out that contest.
After the departure of Sam Baker to the NFL, Brown started all games of the 2008 season at left offensive tackle for the Trojans and did a commendable job, which earned him a 2008 All-Pac-10 honorable mention.
In 2009, Brown was listed at No. 8 on Rivals.com′s preseason offensive tackle power ranking. Brown was named first team All American by Sporting News, won the Morris Trophy, and was All Pac-10 as a senior in 2009.
2010 NFL Draft
Brown was regarded as one of the best offensive tackles available in the 2010 NFL Draft, and draws comparisons to Maurice Williams. Listed at 285 pounds during his senior year at USC, Brown weighed in at 303 pounds at the NFL Combine. He was drafted 64th overall by the New Orleans Saints.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||303 lb||35¼ in||11⅜ in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
New Orleans Saints
Brown was drafted by the Saints with the last pick of the second round. He signed a four-year contract on July 26, 2010.
New York Giants
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- Brandt, Gil, "Top offensive tackle prospects for 2010 hail from the Big 12", NFL.com
- "NFL Draft-2010 OT Draft Prospects", CBS Sportsline
- Buchanan, Olin; Dienhart, Tom; Fox, David; Huguenin, Mike; Megargee, Steve (August 22, 2009), "2009 Preseason offensive tackle power rankings", Rivals.com
- Rivals.com Offensive tackles 2005, January 18, 2005
- Scout.com Tight End Ranking 2005
- Buchanan, Olin; Dienhart, Tom; Fox, David; Huguenin, Mike; Megargee, Steve (August 22, 2009), "Preseason offensive tackle power rankings", Rivals.com
- "Draft Profile: Charles Brown", CBSSports.com
- "Charles Brown Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- Robert Stewart, "Charles Brown signs four-year deal with New Orleans Saints", Times-Picayune, July 26, 2010.
- Patra, Kevin (April 1, 2014). "Charles Brown, New York Giants strike contract". NFL.com. Retrieved April 1, 2014.