Charles Caldwell Ryrie (born March 2 1925) is a Christian writer and theologian who served as professor of systematic theology and dean of doctoral studies at Dallas Theological Seminary and as president and professor at what is now Cairn University. He is the editor of The Ryrie Study Bible by Moody Publishers, containing more than 10,000 of Dr. Ryrie's explanatory notes. First published in 1978, it has sold more than 2 million copies. He is a notable advocate of premillennial dispensationalism.
Early life and family
Ryrie was born in St. Louis, Missouri, and grew up in Alton, Illinois. After graduating from high school in 1942, he attended Stony Brook School on Long Island for one semester, where he became acquainted with headmaster Frank E. Gaebelein. Ryrie attended Haverford College, intending to enter a banking career, but soon thereafter dedicated his life to Christian ministry, and left for Dallas Theological Seminary. Haverford conferred his B.A. (1946) on the basis of his studies at Dallas. A year later, he earned his Th.M. (1947), and two years following that his Th.D. (1949). He went on to complete his Doctor of Philosophy (1953) at the University of Edinburgh.
Ryrie joined the faculty of Westmont College in 1948 and eventually became dean of men and chairman of the Department of Biblical Studies and Philosophy. He returned to Dallas Theological Seminary in 1953 to teach systematic theology, but left for several years to serve as president of Philadelphia College of the Bible, from 1958 to 1962. Upon returning to Dallas once again, he became dean of doctoral studies until his retirement in 1983.
Two of his books (The Miracles of Our Lord and So Great Salvation) garnered the Gold Medallion Book Award. Other publications include:
- "Dispensationalism Today," 1965; The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago. NOTE: This is an older version of the below book reference which may have been revised.
- "A Survey of Bible Doctrine" Moody Publishers, 1972 (First Edition), 1989 (11th Edition) ISBN 0-8024-8438-7 NOTE: This title is also available in electronic version for use with, and sold by: Logos Bible Software.
- "Ryrie's Concise Guide To The Bible", Here's Life Publishers, 1983 ISBN 0-685-09716-1 [Paperback] NOTE: This title is also available in electronic version for use with, and sold by: Logos Bible Software.
- Basic Theology, Moody Publishers, 1986, ISBN 0-89693-814-X
- Balancing the Christian Life, Moody Publishers, 1994 ISBN 0-8024-0887-7
- Dispensationalism, Moody Publishers, 1995 ISBN 0-8024-2187-3
- So Great Salvation: What It Means to Believe in Jesus Christ, Moody Publishers, 1997 ISBN 0-8024-7818-2
- Ryrie's Practical Guide to Communicating Bible Doctrine, Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2005 ISBN 0-8054-4063-1
- ^ http://www.moodypublishers.com/pub_authorDetail.aspx?id=41798&aid=511 Charles C Ryrie