Charles Coulston Gillispie
The son of Raymond Livingston Gillispie & Virginia Coulston  Gillispie grew up in [Bethlehem, Pennsylvania]]. He attended Wesleyan University, graduating in 1940 with a major in Chemistry  and gained his PhD from Harvard University in 1949. He also served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Gillispie joined the Department of History at Princeton University, establishing the Program in History of Science at Princeton in the 1960s. He was president of the History of Science Society from 1965-66. He headed the editorial board of the Dictionary of Scientific Biography, for which he received the Dartmouth Medal in 1981. Gillispie also received the Pfizer Award in 1981. He was awarded the George Sarton Medal by the History of Science Society in 1984 and the Balzan Prize in 1997 for "the extraordinary contribution he has made to the history and philosophy of science by his intellectually vigorous, precise works, as well as his editing of a great reference work".
- Genesis and geology: a study in the relations of scientific thought, natural theology, and social opinion in Britain, 1790-1850, 1951
- The edge of objectivity: an essay in the history of scientific ideas, 1960
- Lazare Carnot savant, 1971
- Science and polity in France at the end of the old regime, 1980. Winner of the 1981 Pfizer Award.
- Science and Polity in France: The Revolutionary and Napoleonic Years. (2004)
- The Montgolfier brothers and the invention of aviation, 1783-1784, 1983
- Pierre-Simon Laplace, 1749-1827: a life in exact science, 1997
- Essays and reviews in history and history of science, 2006
- Jed Z. Buchwald [Editor]: A Master of Science History: Essays in Honor of Charles Coulston Gillispie. Springer, 2012. ISBN 978-94-007-2626-0 (print); ISBN 978-94-007-2627-7 (eBook)
- Clare D. Kinsman; Christine Nasso; Gale Research Company (1975). Contemporary authors: a bio-bibliographical guide to current authors and their works, Volumes 21-24. Gale Research Co. ISBN 0810300273.
- Alumni Record of Wesleyan University, 1921, p. 481
- Remembering Dan Sachs
- Wesleyan University Alumni Awards: Distinguished Alumni Awards
- The History of Science Society "The Society: Past Presidents of the History of Science Society", accessed 4 December 2013
- Web page at Princeton University
- Works by or about Charles Coulston Gillispie in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Works by Charles Coulston Gillispie at Open Library