Charles Emrys Smith
Charles Smith Brocca is Head of Curriculum and Quality in Swansea School of Education at Swansea Metropolitan University (University of Wales). Author/co-author of Economic Development (Palgrave), International Trade and Globalisation (Anforme), Revision Express Economics (Pearson-Longman) and many academic and journalistic articles in the fields of economics and business education, devolution, regional development and European integration. His research specializes in comparative politics and economics of Wales and Catalonia, education, training and employment. He has also contributed to the Encyclopedia of Business in Today's World. He often broadcasts on regional television and radio in an 'expert' role on economic and political matters.
Smith has national standing as an examiner and curriculum developer. He is a former chief examiner with the International Baccalaureate Organisation and has undertaken teacher training in countries spanning the five continents. He has also been a consultant for the UK government's Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency (QCDA), an adviser to the Welsh Assembly Government (member of the Wales Employment Advisory Panel) and a member of the economic council of Britain in Europe.
Notes and references
- Reviewed in the Summer 2007 edition of Teaching Economics and Business (journal of the Economics and Business Education Association)
- Reviewed in the Spring 2007 edition of Teaching Economics and Business (journal of the Economics and Business Education Association)
- Recent publications include: 'What Effect is China Having on International Trade?' Economics Today, January 2006; 'The UK Balance of Payments', in P. Maunder (ed.), Developments in Economics: an Annual Review, Causeway/ Pearson, 2005.
- Sage Publications, USA, 2009
- See, for example 'Problem Solver' column: 'Testing Times for a New Examiner,' Make the Grade (Institute of Educational Assessors) November 2005.
- Smith, Charles. International Trade and Globalisation 2nd ed. Stocksfield : Anforme, 2004. Previous ed.: published as Understanding International Trade. Third edition, spring 2007. ISBN 1-905504-10-1; Fourth Edition, spring 2010.
- Smith, Charles. Economic Development, Growth and Welfare, Basingstoke : Macmillan, 1994. 163p. ISBN 0-333-59267-0 (cased). ISBN 0-333-59268-9 (pbk). Second edition (with Gareth Rees) published as Economic Development, Basingstoke : Palgrave, 1998 ISBN 0-333-72228-0.
- Charles Smith, Matthew Smith, Ian Etherington. Revision Express Economics, Harlow : Longman Education/ Pearson, 2006. 184 pages ISBN 1-4058-0745-8. Second edition: 2008.
- Economics Network: Case study: Building-blocks of Understanding, Charles Smith
- Evidence to Select Committee for Welsh Affairs
- Quoted on BBC News web pages, January 2004
- International Trade and Globalisation, 3rd edition, 2007
- Quoted in Education Guardian, 21 August 2007
- Heinemann: economics textbooks
- Quoted in Times Educational Supplement (TES), 23 May 2009