|Known for||Co-founder of satellite dish provider Dish Network|
|Net worth||US$ 12.5 billion (Sept 2013)|
Viola ErgenWilliam Ergen
Charles William Ergen better known as Charlie Ergen (born March 1, 1953) is the co-founder and current Chairman of the Board, and former President and CEO of the Dish Network, formerly known as the EchoStar Communications Corporation. He stepped down as CEO in May 2011. He remains Chairman of the Board.
Early life and education
Ergen was born into an Episcopalian family in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, on March 1, 1953, the fourth of five children born to Viola and William Ergen. His mother was one of the first female accountants in the state of Minnesota and his father was an Austrian immigrant who was working in Sweden as a nuclear physicist who left Europe prior to World War II as part of the continental brain drain. His father coined the phrase "China Syndrome". His parents married in Minnesota in 1944 and then moved to Camden, New Jersey, before settling in Oak Ridge where his father accepted a position at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Ergen received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, where he was a walk-on basketball player, and an M.B.A. from Wake Forest University. He was a professional blackjack and poker player.
In 1980, he founded EchoStar with his wife and friend Jim DeFranco. He started selling satellite dishes door to door in Colorado. Both Ergen's wife and DeFranco still sit on EchoStar's eight-member board. He purchased Sling Media in 2008.
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - Charles Egren September 2013
- Management Team
- The Wall Street Journal profile
- Otis Bilodeau and Chitra Somayaji, "EchoStar Accounting Raises Flags in Probe, People Say", in Bloomberg, March 10, 2005 
- Forbes biography
- BusinessWeek profile
- NNDB profile
- BusinessWeek resume
- Oral History of Viola Ergen, Interviewed by Keith McDaniel July 18, 2011 - retrieved December 22, 2012
- Keating, Stephen  Cutthroat: High Stakes & Killer Moves on the Electronic Frontier
- "Dish Network, the Meanest Company in America", on Yahoo Finance 01-07-13 
- Dish Network Board of Directors
- Charles Ergen (profile), Forbes, September 2012
- Forbes profile 2004
- Dann Shea, "Charles Ergen: Meet America's Richest Media Mogul You've Never Heard Of", on The Huffington Post 09-18-08 
- CNN Money: "The Charlie Ergen Show Echostar's founder is one tough operator who will soon take control of the satellite TV industry--if Washington lets him" by Marc Gunther September 2, 2002
- "Can Charlie Ergen still go it alone?". Business Week. 1 November 2004.