Charles Godfrey (American football)
|No. 30 Atlanta Falcons|
|Date of birth:||November 15, 1985|
|Place of birth:||Baytown, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||Baytown (TX) Lee|
|NFL draft:||2008 / Round: 3 / Pick: 67|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Charles Marquise Godfrey (born November 15, 1985) is an American football free safety for the Atlanta Falcons. He played college football at Iowa and was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
At the University of Iowa Godfrey appeared in 47 contest with 28 starts, 25 coming at corner back 2 at strong safety and 1 at free safety. During his career he recorded 193 tackles and seven interceptions. In his junior season, he recorded 83 tackles and two interceptions. As a senior, he recorded 65 tackles and five interceptions.
2008 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20 ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5-11*||205 lb *||4.58 *||1.54*||2.58*||4.41*||7.29*||37*||10'0"*||13 *||x|
Despite spending most of his time at cornerback, he was described as a physical hitter that likes to provide run support, and may be better suited at safety.
Godfrey was selected with the 4th pick in the 3rd round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He was quickly announced the team's free safety during camp that May, after reportedly impressing coaches. He started all 16 games at the free safety position and finished his rookie campaign with 61 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and 1 interception.
On September 10, 2011, the Panthers re-signed Godfrey to a 5-year/$27.5 million contract extension with $12.4 million guaranteed.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
He is a graduate of Robert E. Lee High School in Baytown, Texas, class of 2004.
- "Carolina Panthers, strong safety Charles Godfrey agree to 5-year contract extension". The Washington Post.[dead link]
- "Fines roundup: Alphonso Smith docked for horse-collar tackle". National Football League. 2012-10-26. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Patra, Kevin (October 21, 2014). "Carolina Panthers cut Charles Godfrey". NFL.com. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Newton, David (October 22, 2014). "Why Panthers had to let Charles Godfrey go". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Charles Godfrey Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 23 January 2014.