Charles Howard, 10th Earl of Carlisle
Howard was the eldest son of George Howard, 9th Earl of Carlisle, and the Hon. Rosalind Frances, daughter of Edward Stanley, 2nd Baron Stanley of Alderley. Geoffrey William Algernon Howard was his younger brother. He was educated at Rugby and Balliol College, Oxford.
Howard joined the British Army, achieved the rank of Captain in the 3rd Border Regiment and served in the Second Boer War. In 1904 he was elected to the House of Commons for Birmingham South, a seat he held until 1911, when he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords. He was appointed a deputy lieutenant of Cumberland in 1905.
Lord Carlisle married Rhoda Ankaret, daughter of Colonel Paget Walter L'Estrange, in 1894. They had one son and three daughters:
- George Josslyn L'Estrange Howard (6 January 1895 – 17 February 1963) married (1) Bridget Helen Hore-Ruthven on 17 January 1918 (div); had issue: Carolyn Howard (b. 1919) and Charles James Ruthven Howard (b. 1923). Married (2) Esme Mary Shrubb Iredell on 15 August 1947; had issue: Susan Howard (b. 1948).
- Constance Howard (b. 20 January 1897)
- Ankaret Howard (23 April 1900 – 9 April 1945) married William Jackson on 7 April 1927; had issue: William Thomas Jackson (b. 1927) and Ankaret Tarn Jackson (b. 1934)
- Elizabeth Howard (24 October 1903 – 12 January 1969) married Laurence Robert Maconochie-Welwood on 7 September 1934; had issue: Mary Elizabeth Maconochie-Welwood (b. 1936).
He died in January 1912, aged 44, and was laid to rest in a tomb at Lanercost Priory, Cumbria. He was succeeded in his titles by his only son George. Lady Carlisle survived him by 45 years and died in December 1957, aged 90.
- The London Gazette: . 12 May 1905.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Entry at Who Was Who
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Carlisle
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Birmingham South
|Peerage of England|
George James Howard
|Earl of Carlisle
George Josslyn L'Estrange Howard