Charles III, Duke of Lorraine
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2008)|
|Duke of Lorraine|
Charles III, copper engraving by Dominicus Custos, 1600/02 NB: correction needed: the text of this entry all refers to Charles II, but the illustration seems to be of Duke Charles III, his grandson
|Spouse||Claude of France|
|Issue||Henry II, Duke of Lorraine
Christina, Grand Duchess of Tuscany
Charles, Cardinal of Lorraine
Antoinette, Duchess of Jülich-Cleves-Berg
Francis II, Duke of Lorraine
Catherine, Abbess of Remiremont
Elisabeth, Electress of Bavaria
|House||House of Lorraine|
|Father||Francis I, Duke of Lorraine|
|Mother||Christina of Denmark|
|Born||18 February 1543
Ducal Palace of Nancy
|Died||14 May 1608(aged 66)|
Charles II (18 February 1543 – May 14, 1608), known as the Great, was Duke of Lorraine from 1545 until his death.
During his childhood, his aged great-grandmother, Philippa of Gelderland, died in 1547, leaving her inheritance to the young Charles.
He is sometimes numbered as Charles II of Lorraine and Charles III of Lorraine.
His dynasty claimed the Kingdom of Jerusalem and used also the title of Duke of Calabria as symbol of their claims to the Kingdom of Naples. Additionally, they had a claim to the Duchy of Gelderland, inherited from Charles of Egmont, Duke of Gelderland.
- Henry II, Duke of Lorraine (1563–1624) married Margerita Gonzaga
- Christine (1565–1637), married Ferdinando I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany
- Charles (1567–1607), Cardinal of Lorraine and Bishop of Metz (1578–1607), Bishop of Strasbourg (1604–1607)
- Antoinette (1568–1610), married John William, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg.
- Anne (1569–1576)
- Francis II, Duke of Lorraine (1572–1632) married Christina of Salm
- Catherine (1573 † 1648), Abess de Remiremont
- Elisabeth Renata (1574–1635), married Maximilian I, Elector of Bavaria
- Claude, 1575-1576.
|Charles II, Duke of Lorraine||Father:
Francis I, Duke of Lorraine
Antoine, Duke of Lorraine
René II, Duke of Lorraine
Phillipa of Guelders
Renée of Bourbon-Montpensier
Gilbert, Count of Montpensier
Christina of Denmark
Christian II of Denmark
John of Denmark
Christina of Saxony
Isabella of Austria
Philip I of Castile
Joanna of Castile
|Duke of Lorraine and Bar and Marquis of Pont-à-Mousson