Charles L. Dufour
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
Charles L. “Pie” Dufour (1903-1996) was an American newspaper journalist, historian, humorist, and book author from New Orleans, Louisiana who served as a columnist for the New Orleans States-Item newspaper. He wrote approximately 9700 installments of his column “Pie Dufour’s A La Mode” for the States-Item and for the Sunday edition of the New Orleans Times-Picayune during his newspaper tenure, from 1949 until his retirement in 1978. He authored 20 books and approximately 50 articles for scholarly literature. Dufour’s column covered diverse topics including Louisiana history, New Orleans Mardi Gras, law, local sports, classical music, New Orleans cuisine, and European travel. He lived his entire life in New Orleans, except to serve in the US Army in World War II in a non-journalistic role. Together with fellow local historian John Churchill Chase, he taught a course on New Orleans history at Tulane University for 25 years. A 1967 New York Times article characterized Dufour as a columnist and historian "who has devoted most of his professional life to the idea that history is news".
- Charles L. Dufour, John Chase, Walter G. Cowan, Osborne K. Leblanc, John Wilds. New Orleans, Yesterday and Today: A Guide to the City ISBN 978-0807127438
- Charles L. Dufour, The Night the War was Lost, University of Nebraska Press, 1994, ISBN 08032659999.
- Charles L. Dufour, The Mexican War: A Compact History 1846 - 1848, Hawthorne Publishers, 1968.
- Charles L. Dufour, Gentle Tiger: The Gallant Life of Roberdeau Wheat, Louisiana State University Press, 1999, ISBN 0807123919.
- New Orleans Times-Picayune obituary for Pie Dufour, May 28, 1996.
- Tulane University Special Collections, Manuscripts Collection 90,779, Accessed November 25, 2011.
- John K. Bettersworth, New York Times, September 24, 1967.
- Copies of Pie Dufour's A La Mode column are available through the historical archives maintained by the New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper.
- An extensive collection of research papers, notes, and publications by Charles L. Dufour is maintained by the Louisiana Research Collection of the Howard-Tilton Memorial Library of Tulane University.