Charles Louis, Count of Marsan
|Count of Marsan|
|Spouse||Élisabeth de Roquelaure|
|Leopoldine Élisabeth, Mademoiselle de Pons
Louise, Duchess of Bouillon
Gaston, Count of Marsan
Camille, Prince of Pons
|Charles Louis de Lorraine|
|Father||Charles, Count of Marsan|
|Mother||Catherine Thérèse de Goyon de Matignon|
21 October 1696|
|Died||2 November 1755
Charles Louis de Lorraine (21 October 1696 – 2 November 1755) was a French nobleman and member of a cadet branch of the House of Lorraine. He was the Count of Marsan. His was also the Prince of Mortagne.
Born to Charles de Lorraine, Count of Marsan and his wife Catherine Thérèse de Goyon de Matignon, he was the couples eldest child. Styled the Prince of Pons from birth, he was the de facto Count of Marsan at his father's death in November 1708. As a member of the House of Lorraine, he was a Foreign Prince and as such, was addressed with the style of Highness. His mother was the first wife of Jean Baptiste Colbert, Marquis of Seignelay and as such, Charles Louis had four half siblings.
He married Élisabeth de Roquelaure, a daughter of Antoine Gaston de Roquelaure. The couple were married on 1 March 1714. Élisabeth gave him four children, two sons and two daughters. His younger daughter Louise married into the Duke of Bouillons family and his eldest son Gaston married a princess of the House of Rohan. His youngest son married a daughter of the Duke of Nevers. Only his daughter Louise had further issue.
He had a minor military career; in 1717 he was posted in Hungary. On 3 June 1724, he was made a knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit, the most prestigious decoration of the Ancien régime. He was also a General Lieutenant of the Kings armies. From 1736, his son was his Aide-de-camp.
- Leopoldine Élisabeth de Lorraine (2 October 1716 – ?) never married;
- Louise Henriette Gabrielle de Lorraine, Mademoiselle de Marsan, Duchess of Bouillon (30 December 1718 – 5 September 1788) married Godefroy de La Tour d'Auvergne and had issue;
- Gaston Jean Baptiste Charles de Lorraine, Count of Marsan (7 February 1721 – 2 May 1743) married Marie Louise de Rohan; died of smallpox'
- Louis Camille de Lorraine, Prince of Marsan, Prince of Puyguilhem (18 December 1725 – 12 April 1780) married Hélène Julie Rosalie Mancini, Mademoiselle de Nevers, no issue.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2012)|
|Ancestors of Charles Louis, Count of Marsan|
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 21 October 1696 – 2 November 1755 His Highness the Prince of Pons
- 13 November 1708 – 7 February 1721 His Highness the Count of Marsan
References and notes
- van de Pas, Leo. "Charles Louis de Lorraine". Genealogics .org. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- "Branche des comtes d'Harcourt sortie des ducs d'Elbeuf". Googlebooks.org. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- Daughter of Jules, Prince of Soubise and Anne Julie de Melun
- Daughter of Louis Jules Mancini Mazarini and Hélène Françoise Angélique Phélypeaux de Pontchartrain