Charles Moore Magee
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (April 2013)|
Biography and education
Magee was born on January 23, 1871 in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. He attended the University of Pennsylvania from 1891 to 1905, where he graduated A.B. in 1895 and was elected Phi Beta Kappa.
Admitted to candidacy for the doctorate in 1895, Charles M. Magee graduated A.M. in 1904, and was awarded a Ph.D. in 1905 for his thesis “The Epigrammatic Art of the Classical School of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries”. During this time he taught variously as Professor of Mathematics, Hebrew, New Testament Greek and English at Temple College, Philadelphia, from 1897-1901.
Magee subsequently joined the faculty of Villanova College, where he taught as Professor of Literature and Languages for 20 years. He was awarded an honorary Litt.D. by Villanova in a Commencement ceremony in 1910, during which President William H. Taft attended as the Commencement Speaker, also receiving an honorary doctorate in Law.
During this time Charles M. Magee served as faculty representative on the staff of Villanova’s college newspaper, The Villanovan.
His literary interests also extended to collecting rare late-19th and early-20th century dime novels, a collection which was recently discovered in basement of Villanova’s library, and now forms the core of the University’s Dime Novel and Popular Literature collection and Digital Library resource.
- "OBITUARIES: Dr. Charles M. Magee". Chester Times. January 20, 1950. p. 2. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- New York Times, Jan. 21, 1950
- Philadelphia Evening Bulletin, Jan. 20, 1950
- The Record of the Class of ’95 of the University of Pennsylvania 1895, p. 28
- Parsons, Eben Burt (1900). Phi Beta Kappa Handbook and General Address Catalog of the United Chapters. Walden & Crawley. p. 168.
- General Alumni Catalogue of the University of Pennsylvania 1917 compiled by W. J. Maxwell under the direction of the Alumni association of the university. H. M. Lippincott, secretary., p. 150
- University of Pennsylvania Bulletin. University of Pennsylvania. 1905. p. 45.
- Journal of the American Oriental Society 21. 1901. p. 215.
- Post Express, Rochester, NY. Feb 2, 1901. Missing or empty
- William Georg Bruce, William Conrad Bruce, ed. (March 1916). The American School Board Journal. 52-53. Milwaukee: Bruce Publishing.
- Manuscripts, Degrees and Medals awarded by Villanova College 1855-1910. Middleton, Thomas C., p. 53 http://digital.library.villanova.edu/Item/vudl:192480 http://digital.library.villanova.edu/Record/vudl:192418
- 1910 Commencement (Villanova University Archives) http://www.villanova.edu/library/archives/sesquicentennial/case04.htm?page=109.htm http://www.villanova.edu/library/archives/sesquicentennial/case04.htm?page=111.htm
- Photo of Magee with Staff of the Villanovan: 1916-1917. Top Row, Furthest Right. (Villanova University Archives)
- Photo of Magee with Augustinian and lay Faculty of Villanova, 1912. Middle Row, Center. (Villanova University Archives)
- Photo of Magee with Augustinian and lay Faculty of Villanova, 1917. Middle Row, Center. (Villanova University Archives)
- Dime Novels at Villanova
- Villanova’s Dime Novel Digital Collection