Charles O. Holliday
|Charles O. Holliday|
Chad Holliday at the Council on Competitiveness' 2007 annual meeting
|Born||Charles Otis Holliday, Jr.
March 9, 1948
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
|Residence||Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Tennessee|
|Title||Former Chairman, former CEO, DuPont, former Chairman, Bank of America|
|Parents||Charles O. Holliday, Sr. and Ann Hunter|
Charles Otis "Chad" Holliday, Jr. (born March 9, 1948), is an American businessman, former chairman of Bank of America and former Chairman, former Chief Executive Officer and a former director of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (DuPont). He is Chairman Emeritus of the U.S. Council on Competitiveness and Chairman of the Business Roundtable's Task Force for Environment, Technology and Economy. Holliday is also a founding member of the International Business Council and serves on the Board of Advisors of the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions.
Holliday was born in 1948 and grew up in Nashville, Tennessee. He graduated from John Overton High where he met his future wife, Ann. Holliday earned his B.S. in industrial engineering from the University of Tennessee in 1970. He was a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity Zeta Chapter. Holliday started at DuPont in the summer of 1970 at DuPont's Old Hickory site. He then turned a summer job at DuPont into a full-time position as an engineer. He advanced through manufacturing and supervisory positions around the world until he was named CEO in 1998.
Holliday was the 18th CEO of DuPont in more than 200 years of DuPont history. Under Holliday's leadership, DuPont established a goal of achieving sustainable growth – increasing shareholder and societal value while simultaneously decreasing DuPont's environmental footprint. As a result, DuPont has shifted from being a chemical company to being a science-based products and services company. On September 23, 2008, DuPont announced that Holliday would retire as CEO on December 31, 2008 and that its board of directors had elected Ellen J. Kullman to succeed Holliday with effect from January 1, 2009. On 30 October 2009, DuPont announced that Holliday would retire as Chairman with effect from December 31, 2009 and that Kullman had been appointed Chairman effective from that date.
Holliday currently serves as the Chairman of Council on Competitiveness and the Business Roundtable's Task Force for Environment, Technology and Economy. Holliday has previously served as Chairman of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) and Chairman of the Society of Chemical Industry – American Section. He served as Chairman of The Business Council in 2003 and 2004. He is also a founding member of the International Business Council and serves on the Board of Advisors of the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions.
On September 21, 2009, Holliday was elected to the Board of Directors of Bank of America Corporation and he was elected chairman on April 28, 2010. Holliday holds an honorary doctorate from Polytechnic University, and is a licensed professional engineer.
While CEO of DuPont in 2008, Holliday earned total compensation of $10,213,441, which included a base salary of $1,369,500, a cash bonus of $1,732,000, stocks granted of $4,796,309, and options granted of $2,166,672.
Holliday has co-written a book titled Walking the Talk, which details the business case for sustainable development and corporate responsibility.
- 2008 CEO Compensation for Charles O. Holliday Jr., Equilar.com
- "Charles Holliday Jr Profile - Forbes.com". Forbes.[dead link]
- "DuPont: Investor Center — News Release". phx.corporate-ir.net. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- Tomorrow's CEOs Meet Six Hot Young Managers Who Have What it Takes to Lead in the 21st Century
- "People Search". Forbes.[dead link]
- "DuPont names Ellen Kullman as chair - MarketWatch". www.marketwatch.com. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- "DuPont's Board of Directors Appoints Ellen Kullman Chair". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- Compete.org Bio
- The Business Council, Official website, Background
- Kamalakaran, Ajay (September 21, 2009). "UPDATE 1-BofA board adds DuPont's Holliday". Reuters. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- "Holliday Elected Bank of America Board Chairman". multivu.prnewswire.com. Retrieved May 25, 2010.
- Charles Holliday: Executive Profile & Biography - BusinessWeek