October 17, 1989 |
Guarujá, São Paulo, Brazil
|Other names||do Bronx|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||143 lb (65 kg; 10.2 st)|
|Reach||73 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Guarujá, São Paulo, Brazil
Houston, Texas, United States
|Team||Bronx's Gold Team USA|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Ericson Cardoso and Jorge Patino "Macaco"|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Charles Oliveira (born October 17, 1989) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist who competes in the featherweight division. A professional MMA competitor since 2008, Oliveira mainly fought in small Brazilian promotions until his move to the UFC in late 2010.
Mixed martial arts career
Oliveira began his MMA career in 2008 in his home country of Brazil, compiling a record of 12–0, with six knockouts and five submission wins. On three separate occasions, Oliveira has compiled multiple wins in the same night.
In March 2008, Oliveira made his professional debut at the Predador FC 9 - Welterweight Grand Prix event. In the first round Oliveira defeated Jackson Pontes via submission (rear naked choke) which advanced him to the second stage of the tournament held the same night. Oliveira's second stage fight was against Viscardi Andrade. In the second round of the fight, Oliveira won via TKO (punches) and advanced to the final round of the tournament. Oliveira won the tournament by defeating Diego Braga via TKO (punches) in the first round of the fight.
After defeating Medhi Bagda in December 2008, Oliveira entered into another tournament, where he defeated Daniel Fernandes and Eliene Silva via TKO and KO respectively.
Oliveira once again competed twice in one night, in February 2010, defeating Rosenildo Rocha via submission (rear naked choke) in the first round and Diego Bataglia via KO (slam).
Oliveira is managed by Wade Hampel of Big Fight Management.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2010, Oliveira was named as the third best Brazilian prospect to watch in 2010, according to Sherdog.
Oliveira then signed for the UFC and made his debut against Darren Elkins. This fight was originally scheduled for The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale, but was rescheduled for UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko due to visa issues. Oliveira defeated Elkins via submission (armbar) after 41 seconds of the first round. Oliveira was taken down early by Elkins, but quickly attempted a triangle choke, before transitioning to an armbar, forcing the tapout. The submission earned him the Submission of the Night award.
Oliveira next fought against Efrain Escudero at UFC Fight Night 22 replacing an injured Matt Wiman. The bout, which served as co-main event would become a catchweight bout after Escudero weighed in at 159 lb. Oliveira went on to defeat Escudero in the third round via rear naked choke. Oliveira was awarded the Submission of the Night award for his second successive UFC appearance.
Oliveira faced Nik Lentz on June 26, 2011 at UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry. The fight ended in the second round after Oliveira hit Lentz with an illegal knee which went unnoticed by the referee and submitted the dazed Lentz via rear naked choke. However, after reviewing the incident, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission overturned the result and declared it a no contest. The back and forth action earned both fighters Fight of the Night honors.
Oliveira was expected to face Joe Lauzon on November 19, 2011 at UFC 138. However, Oliveira instead faced Donald Cerrone on August 14, 2011 at UFC on Versus 5, replacing an injured Paul Taylor. He lost the fight via TKO (punches) at 3:01 of the 1st round. His trainer has recently stated that after going 0-2-1 NC in his last 3 fights he plans on dropping down to the Featherweight Division.
Oliveira was briefly linked to a bout with Robert Peralta on January 20, 2012 at UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller, but instead faced promotional newcomer Eric Wisely in a featherweight fight on January 28, 2012 at UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis. Oliveira won the fight via calf slicer submission in the first round.
Oliveira faced Cub Swanson on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. Early in the first round, Swanson hit Oliveira with body shots, which visibly appeared to hurt Oliveira. Swanson followed it up with an overhand right sending Oliveira to the canvas resulting in a KO victory for Swanson.
Oliveira was expected to face Estevan Payan on October 19, 2013 at UFC 166. However, Payan was forced out of the bout citing a broken foot and was replaced by Jeremy Larsen. Subsequently on October 5, Oliveira pulled out of the Larsen bout citing a strained thigh muscle.
Oliveira faced Andy Ogle on February 15, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 36. He won the fight via triangle choke submission in the third round. The win also earned him one of the first UFC Performance of the Night bonus awards.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||17 wins||4 losses|
|Win||17–4 (1)||Andy Ogle||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Mousasi||February 15, 2014||3||2:40||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||16–4 (1)||Frankie Edgar||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||16–3 (1)||Cub Swanson||KO (punch)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||1||2:40||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||146.4 catchweight bout; Oliveira missed weight.|
|Win||16–2 (1)||Jonathan Brookins||Submission (anaconda choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale||June 1, 2012||2||2:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–2 (1)||Eric Wisely||Submission (reverse calf slicer)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||1||1:43||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Featherweight Debut. Submission of the Night|
|Loss||14–2 (1)||Donald Cerrone||TKO (punches)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||1||3:01||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|NC||14–1 (1)||Nik Lentz||NC (illegal knee)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||2||1:48||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States||Fight of the Night; Original win by submission, but overturned to no contest.|
|Loss||14–1||Jim Miller||Submission (kneebar)||UFC 124||December 11, 2010||1||1:59||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||14–0||Efrain Escudero||Submission (standing rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Marquardt vs. Palhares||September 15, 2010||3||2:25||Austin, Texas, United States||Catchweight bout (159 lb). Submission of the Night.|
|Win||13–0||Darren Elkins||Submission (armbar)||UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko||August 1, 2010||1||0:41||San Diego, California, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||12–0||Diego Bataglia||KO (slam)||Warriors Challenge 5||February 14, 2010||1||N/A||Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Win||11–0||Rosenildo Rocha||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Warriors Challenge 5||February 14, 2010||1||1:21||Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Win||10–0||Eduardo Pachu||Decision (split)||Eagle Fighting Championship||September 26, 2009||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||9–0||Alexandre Bezerra||Submission (anaconda choke)||First Class Fight 3||September 18, 2009||2||1:11||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||8–0||Dom Stanco||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ring of Combat 24||April 17, 2009||1||3:33||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||7–0||Carlos Soares||Submission (triangle armbar)||JF12: Warriors||March 21, 2009||1||2:48||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–0||Elieni Silva||TKO (knee and punches)||Korea Fight 1||December 29, 2008||2||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||5–0||Daniel Fernandes||KO||Korea Fight 1||December 29, 2008||N/A||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Mehdi Baghdad||TKO (punches)||Kawai Arena 1||December 13, 2008||1||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil||Lightweight debut|
|Win||3–0||Diego Braga||TKO (punches)||Predador FC 9: Welterweight Grand Prix||March 15, 2008||1||2:30||São Paulo, Brazil||Welterweight Grand Prix final.|
|Win||2–0||Viscardi Andrade||TKO (punches)||Predador FC 9: Welterweight Grand Prix||March 15, 2008||2||2:47||São Paulo, Brazil||Welterweight Grand Prix semi-final bout.|
|Win||1–0||Jackson Pontes||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Predador FC 9: Welterweight Grand Prix||March 15, 2008||1||2:11||São Paulo, Brazil||Welterweight Grand Prix quarter-final bout.|
- T.P. Grant (February 2, 2012). "Charles "do Bronx" Oliveira awarded black belt. Gracie Mag sent out a tweet that yesterday that...". bloodyelbow.com.
- "Charles Oliveira". sherdog.com. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "Filho home, back in the gym soon". sherdog.com. March 29, 2008.
- "Weekend Rundown: Valimaki captures TFC gold". sherdog.com. September 21, 2009.
- John Morgan (October 28, 2011). "Charles Oliveira making transition to UFC's featherweight division". MMAjunkie.com.
- "10 Brazilians to watch in 2010". sherdog.com. January 25, 2010.
- "UFC newcomer Charles Oliveira meets Darren Elkins at TUF 11 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- "Gunderson vs. Holst official for TUF 11 Finale. Elkins vs. Oliveira to UFC on Versus 2". mmajunkie.com. June 5, 2010.
- "Escudero vs. Oliveira official for UFC Fight Night 22, main card now set". mmajunkie.com. August 31, 2010.
- "UFC Fight Night 22 live weigh-in results". mmajunkie.com. September 14, 2010.
- "Despite fast changing life, UFCs Charles Oliveira promises to remain the same". mmajunkie.com. September 16, 2010.
- "Miller vs. Oliveira added to UFC 124". mmaweekly.com. October 6, 2010.
- "PSAC: UFC on Versus 4's Oliveira vs. Lentz overturned, declared a no-contest". mmajunkie.com. June 29, 2011.
- "Charles Oliveira, Joe Lauzon likely to meet at UFC 138". tatame.com. 2011-07-06.
- "Charles Oliveira replaces Paul Taylor, meets Donald Cerrone at UFC on Versus 5". mmajunkie.com. 2011-07-07.
- "UFC on Versus 5 Play-by-Play: Donald Cerrone vs. Charles Oliveira". MMAweekly.com. 2011-08-14.
- "Charles Oliveira making transition to UFC's featherweight division". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-10-28.
- "Breaking News: Charles Oliveira's next opponent named". The Cage Door. November 16, 2011.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (December 4, 2011). "Featherweights Charles Oliveira vs. Eric Wisely targeted for UFC on FOX 2". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved December 4, 2011.
- "Jonathan Brookins vs Charles Oliveira booked for June 1 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. April 7, 2012.
- "UFC 152 adds Swanson vs. Oliveira to Toronto show". mmajunkie.com. August 2, 2012.
- "UFC 152 results: Charles Oliveira vs. Cub Swanson". mmajunkie.com.
- Franklin McNeil (March 28, 2013). "Edgar to fight Oliveira at UFC 162". espn.go.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Guilherme Cruz (August 8, 2013). "Charles Oliveira vs. Estevan Payan set for UFC 166". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Staff (September 10, 2013). "With Estevan Payan out, Charles Oliveira meets Jeremy Larsen at UFC 166". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved September 10, 2013.
- Thomas Myers (2013-10-05). "Charles Oliveira injured, removed from UFC 166 fight card in Houston". MMAMania.com. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- Staff (November 27, 2013). "Andy Ogle meets Charles Oliveira at UFC Fight Night 36 in Brazil". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Staff (2014-02-16). "UFC Fight Night 36 bonuses: Silva, Oliveira earn first 'performance' bonuses". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-16.