Charles Paget, 6th Marquess of Anglesey
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|The Marquess of Anglesey|
The Marquess of Anglesey (centre) at the headquarters of Lieutenant-General Sir John Maxwell, Cairo, Egypt, early 1915. On the left is Prince Alexander of Battenberg (later Alexander Mountbatten, 1st Marquess of Carisbrooke). Photo from The War Illustrated, 29 May 1915.
|Born||14 April 1885|
|Died||21 February 1947(aged 61)|
|Alma mater||Eton College
Royal Military College Sandhurst
|Title||Marquess of Anglesey|
|Term||14 March 1905 – 21 February 1947|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Victoria Manners|
|Children||Lady Caroline Duff
Lady Elizabeth von Hofmannsthal
Lady Mary Paget
Lady Rose McLaren
George Paget, 7th Marquess of Anglesey
Lady Katharine Farrel
|Parents||Lord Alexander Paget|
Paget was born in 1885, the son of Lord Alexander Paget, was educated at Eton and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, and in 1905 he succeeded as Marquess of Anglesey on the demise of his childless cousin, the 5th Marquess. In 1911 he was Mayor of Burton upon Trent and went on to serve in the First World War with the Royal Horse Guards as aide-de-camp to the General Officer Commanding in Egypt in 1915 (for which he was decorated with the Order of the Nile) and then as Assistant Military Secretary to General Officer Commanding in Ireland in 1916. He served in the Home Guard in World War II.
On 3 August 1912, he married Lady Victoria Marjorie Manners, a daughter of the 8th Duke of Rutland and they had six children:
- Lady Alexandra Mary Cecilia Caroline Paget (15 June 1913–22 May 1973 (aged 59), married Sir Michael Duff, 3rd Baronet.
- Lady Elizabeth Hester Mary Paget (b. Raimund von Hofmannsthal. 28 October 1916 , married
- Lady Mary Patricia Beatrice Rose Paget (19 January 1918–28 March 1996 (aged 78), died unmarried.
- Lady Rose Mary Primrose Paget (27 July 1919–1 November 2005 (aged 86), married Hon. John Francis McLaren.
- George Charles Henry Victor Paget, Earl of Uxbridge (afterwards 7th Marquess) (8 October 1922–13 July 2013 (aged 90)).
- Lady Katharine Mary Veronica Paget (b. 8 October 1922 , married (1) Jocelyn Eustace Gurney, (2) Charles Farrell.
He commissioned the artist Rex Whistler to undertake a decorative mural scheme for the family seat at Plas Newydd. The trompe l'oeil paintings and murals and a permanent exhibition of Whistler memorabilia are now one of major attractions at this property.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Charles Paget, 6th Marquess of Anglesey
Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley
|Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey
Sir Richard Williams Bulkeley
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Marquess of Anglesey