September 19, 1948 |
|Institution||University of Rochester|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago
|Contributions||Real business cycles|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Charles Irving Plosser (born September 19, 1948) is the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. An academic macroeconomist, he is well known for his work on real business cycles, a term which he and John B. Long, Jr. coined. Specifically, he wrote along with Charles R. Nelson in 1982 an influential work entitled "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series" in which they dealt with the hypothesis of permanent shocks affecting the aggregate product (GDP).
Plosser was born in Birmingham, Alabama. Before joining the Philadelphia Fed, Plosser was for 12 years the Dean of the William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration at the University of Rochester and served concurrently as the school's John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics and Public Policy. He was also co-editor of the Journal of Monetary Economics for more than twenty years.
He earned Ph.D. and M.B.A. degrees from the University of Chicago in 1976 and 1972, respectively, and a bachelor of engineering degree from Vanderbilt University in 1970. He is also a graduate of Indian Springs School in Indian Springs, Alabama.
- Charles R. Nelson and Charles I. Plosser, September, 1982. "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconmic [sic] Time Series: Some Evidence and Implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, 10(2), pp. 139–162. Abstract.
- John B. Long, Jr. and Charles I. Plosser, 1983. "Real Business Cycles" Journal of Political Economy, 91(1), pp. 39-69 (press +).
- Robert G. King and Charles I. Plosser, 1984. "Money, Credit, and Prices in a Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, 74(3), p p. 363-380. Reprinted in Finn E. Kydland, ed., 1995. Business Cycle Theory, pp. 136-55.
- Robert G. King, Charles I. Plosser, and Sergio T. Rebelo, 1988. "Production, Growth, and Business Cycles: I. The Basic Neoclassical Model," Journal of Monetary Economics, 21(2-3), pp. 195–232. Abstract.
- Charles I. Plosser, 1989. "Understanding Real Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Perspectives, 3(3), pp. 51-77 (press +).
- Biography at the Philadelphia Fed at the Wayback Machine (archived January 22, 2008)
- Federal Reserve System biography
- Home page at Rochester at the Wayback Machine (archived July 20, 2011)
- Robb, Greg, MarketWatch:
- Charles Plosser at the Mathematics Genealogy Project