Charles Schlueter, born in Du Quoin, Illinois, is the retired principal trumpeter of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Schlueter studied with William Vacchiano at the Juilliard School. Prior to his 25 years as principal of the BSO, he also held positions with the Kansas City Symphony, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Cleveland Orchestra, and the Minnesota Orchestra.
Charles Schlueter is also a well-known teacher, currently on the faculty of the New England Conservatory of Music, and has taught many trumpet players including Andrew Balio, (principal of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra), Matthew Sonneborn (principal of the Naples Philharmonic Orchestra), Roderick Macdonald (former principal trumpet of the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra), Jeffrey Work and David Bamonte (principal and assistant principal of the Oregon Symphony Orchestra), and Eric Berlin (principal of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra and the Albany Symphony Orchestra).
In addition to the many recordings made with the Minnesota Orchestra and the Boston Symphony Orchestra during his tenures there, Schlueter has released four solo albums with the Kleos Classics label. His four albums are entitled "Bravura Trumpet", "Trumpet Works", "Trumpet Concertos", and "Virtuoso Trumpet".
In 2001, he founded The Charles Schlueter Foundation, a non-profit organization "to encourage communication among brass players and to advance the level of performance, teaching and literature associated with brass instruments".
- "Schlueter's biography". Charles Schlueter Foundation. Archived from the original on 2006-02-06. Retrieved 2006-02-19.
- "BSO - Trumpets". Boston Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved 2006-02-20.
- Current Biography courtesy New England Conservatory.
- Schlueter's personal website.
- Conversation with Charles Schlueter
- Announcement of recital and master class at Oberlin Conservatory of Music December 2005
- Hear Charles Schlueter in concert from WGBH Radio in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Coverage of Schlueter's 2007 Trumpet Guild Conference masterclass
|This article about an American classical musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on an American trumpeter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|