Charles Somerset, 1st Earl of Worcester
|Earl of Worcester|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth Herbert, 3rd Baroness Herbert
Mary Somerset, Baroness Grey de Wilton
|Noble family||House of Beaufort|
|Father||Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset|
|Died||15 March 1526|
He was born around 1460 to Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset and Joan Hill. He may have married three times, firstly to Elizabeth Herbert, 3rd Baroness Herbert, daughter of William Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, 2nd Baron Herbert, secondly to Elizabeth West, daughter of Sir Thomas West, 8th Baron de la Warr, and thirdly to Eleanor Sutton, daughter of Edward Sutton, 2nd Lord Dudley. His supposed marriage to Elizabeth West, however, may be an error made by William Dugdale, repeated by later scholars.
In right of his wife he was created Lord Herbert. On 1 February 1514, he was created the 1st Earl of Worcester. He was invested as Knight, Order of the Garter (K.G.) around 1496. Lord Chamberlain of the Household of Henry VIII of England. As Lord Chamberlain, Somerset was largely responsible for the preparations of the Field of Cloth of Gold. Elizabeth died bef. March 1513. Somerset died on 15 April 1526 and was buried with his first wife at St. George's Chapel.
With Elizabeth Herbert, whom he married on 2 June 1492, he had one son, Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester, his heir and successor and one daughter Elizabeth, wife of Sir John Savage, Knt., and Sir William Brereton.
- Burke, John, Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of peerage, baronetage and knightage, (G.P.Putnam's Sons:New York, 1914), 207.
- Gurney, E. Henry, Reference handbook for readers, students, and teachers of English history , (Ginn & Company:Boston, 1890), 55.
- Burke, 207
- Jonathan Hughes, "Somerset , Charles, first earl of Worcester (c.1460–1526)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, September 2004; online edition, January 2007 [accessed 1 Sept 2010] (Subscription required for online version)
- Burke, 207.
- McClain, Molly, Beaufort: the duke and his duchess, 1657-1715, (Yale University Press, 2001), xxi.
- Burke, John, Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of peerage, baronetage and knightage, G.P.Putnam's Sons:New York, 1914.
- Gurney, E. Henry, Reference handbook for readers, students, and teachers of English history , Ginn & Company:Boston, 1890.
- McClain, Molly, Beaufort: the duke and his duchess, 1657-1715, Yale University Press, 2001.
The Earl of Oxford
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
Sir Henry Guilford
The Earl of Arundel
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Worcester
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|