Charles Donald Spielberger, Ph.D. (born 1927; died 11 June 2013) was a clinical/community psychologist well known for his development of the State/Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI).
In 1972, as incoming president of the Southeastern Psychological Association (SEPA) he appointed the first SEPA Task Force on the Status of Women, chaired by Ellen Kimmel.
Spielberger was founding Editor (1973–76) of the American Journal of Community Psychology, official journal of Division 27 (Community Psychology) of the American Psychological Association. He was President of that Division in 1974-75. He won the Division's 1982 Award for Distinguished Contributions to Theory and Research in Community Psychology. He was president of the APA in 1991.
In 1987 Spielberger was one of the key psychologists who supported the efforts of David Pilon and Scott Mesh in their efforts to form a national graduate student association. Spielberger was very supportive and helpful in this effort along with Ray Fowler, then APA President, Virginia Staudt Sexton (St. John's University), and Pierre Ritchie (Canadian Psychological Association). in 1988 those efforts were successful and the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students was formed and in thriving 25 years later with over 30,000 members.
State Trait Anxiety Inventory
Spielberger, like Raymond Cattell and others before him, made the conceptual distinction between chronic or trait anxiety (a general propensity to be anxious) and temporary or state anxiety (a temporary state varying in intensity). To measure these concepts, he developed the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI).
Additional work on anxiety
State Trait Anger Scale
Carrying this concept further, Spielberger distinguished between state and trait anger. State anger is definded as a temporary emotional state while trait anger is a general tendency to react angrily to perceive situations. (Spielberger et al., 1983). Speilberger became a well-known authority on anger and its manifestations.
One of his first vocations was as an electronics technician in the U.S. Army (1945–1946). His post secondary education includes a B.S. in chemistry from the Georgia Institute of Technology (1949) and a B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of Iowa.
- Irving B. Weiner, Donald K. Freedheim. Handbook of Psychology. books.google.com. p. 262. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- "American Journal of Community Psychology - Springer". Link.springer.com. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- The Meaning of Anxiety, Rollo May, 1977, W.W. Norton, p. xvii, xx, 11, 53, 54, 80, 111, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 403, 405, 406, 407, 408, 411, 412, 424
- Dieter Hackfort, Charles D. Spielberger, Published by Taylor & Francis, 1990 ISBN 1-56032-143-1, ISBN 978-1-56032-143-9, 275 pages
- "Correctional Service of Canada - Literature Review on Women's Anger and Other Emotions - State Trait Anger Scale". www.csc-scc.gc.ca. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- Shahid, Sadaf. "The News - International - Tuesday, March 04, 2008". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2008-03-04.[dead link]
- "USF :: Department of Psychology". Psychology.usf.edu. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- His CV (PDF)
-  The State Trait Anxiety Inventory for Adults
-  The State Trait Anxiety Inventory for Children
- State-Trait Anxiety Inventory