Charles Walker (British politician)
|Member of Parliament
5 May 2005
|Preceded by||Marion Roe|
|Born||Charles Ashley Rupert Walker
11 September 1967
Oxfordshire, England, UK
|Alma mater||University of Oregon|
Walker was a member of Wandsworth Council from 2002-06. He has pursued a career in marketing and communications and has held senior positions within a number of people focused businesses. He was on the Board of Directors of Blue Arrow, the staffing firm, which places upwards of 20,000 people into work each day. Walker belongs to the trade union Amicus.
Walker was one of the 23 MPs to sign the Motion of No Confidence in Speaker Michael Martin.
Walker sat on the Scottish Select Committee from 2005 to 2010 and was also a member of the Public Administration Select Committee from 2007 to 2010. In October 2012 he was elected as Chairman of the Procedure Select Committee.
He joined the panel of Chairs in 2010 and was co-Chair of the Education Bill that went through Committee in 2011. In addition to his chairing duties, Walker is a member of the Speaker's Committee on the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (SCIPSA) and answers Parliamentary questions on behalf of the Committee.
In May 2010 he was elected Vice Chairman of the 1922 Committee and in the same year was elected to the Conservative Party Board.
Walker has twice won the Spectator magazine's Speech of the Year at its annual Parliamentarian of the Year Awards, the first time in 2011 and the second time in 2012 when he shared the award with the Labour MP, Kevan Jones. He was also one of the Spectator's Parliamentarians on the Year in 2013. In 2012 he was chosen as one of the Telegraph's "50 Great Britains" for that year and was also one of the Guardian's "Stories of 2012." In November 2013 he was awarded the President's Medal by the Royal College of Psychiatry. In December 2013 Walker was the only MP to confirm in a Telegraph survey that he would accept an 11% pay increase.
- Charles Walker biodata at www.conservatives.com
- Charles Walker official website
- Hélène Mulholland (26 December 2012). "Charles Walker MP: 'I've made peace with it. I've got it off my chest'". the Guardian. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- Miranda Prynne (12 December 2013). "Telegraph database: find out if your MP is planning to take Ipsa's 11 per cent pay hike". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Christopher Hope (30 December 2013). "Keith Vaz 'could be next Speaker of the House of Commons'". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2014.
- 2015 New Year Honours List
- Charles Walker biodata, ibid.
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: Charles Walker
- TheyWorkForYou.com - Charles Walker MP
- Broxbourne Conservatives
- BBC profile at Democracy Live
- Official channel at YouTube
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Broxbourne