Charles Walker (British politician)
|Member of Parliament
5 May 2005
|Preceded by||Marion Roe|
11 September 1967 |
Oxfordshire, England, UK
|Alma mater||University of Oregon|
Life and career
Walker was a member of Wandsworth Council from 2002-06. He has pursued a career in marketing and communications and has held senior positions within a number of people focused businesses. He was on the Board of Directors of Blue Arrow, the staffing firm, which places upwards of 20,000 people into work each day. Walker belongs to the trade union Amicus.
Walker heckled Tony Blair during a heated debate over the government's decision to extend the period of detention without trial. Walker shouted "police state", a comment to which Tony Blair responded furiously. Walker was one of the 23 MPs to sign the Motion of No Confidence in Speaker Michael Martin in May 2009. Walker was elected as a Vice Chairman of the 1922 Committee on 26 May 2010.
In December 2013 Walker was the only MP to confirm in a Telegraph survey that he would accept an 11% pay increase.
Walker is the stepson of Christopher Chataway, a well-known middle distance runner, former Conservative MP and Leader of the Inner London Education Authority. He is married and has three young children. He has lived with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for more than 30 years.
- Charles Walker biodata at www.conservatives.com
- Charles Walker official website
- "9 November 2005". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons). col. 297.
- Video of PMQs in which Tony Blair reacts.
- Miranda Prynne (12 December 2013). "Telegraph database: find out if your MP is planning to take Ipsa's 11 per cent pay hike". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Christopher Hope (30 December 2013). "Keith Vaz 'could be next Speaker of the House of Commons'". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Charles Walker biodata, ibid.
- "MPs Charles Walker and Kevan Jones tell of mental health issues". BBC. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: Charles Walker
- TheyWorkForYou.com - Charles Walker MP
- Broxbourne Conservatives
- BBC profile at Democracy Live
- Official channel at YouTube
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Broxbourne