Charles Wood, 3rd Earl of Halifax
Charles Edward Peter Neil Wood, 3rd Earl of Halifax (born 14 March 1944), known informally as Peter Wood, styled Lord Irwin between 1959 and 1980, is a British peer and Conservative politician.
Wood is the eldest son of Charles Wood, 2nd Earl of Halifax, son of E. F. L. Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax, Viceroy of India and Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. His mother is Ruth Primrose, daughter of Neil Primrose and granddaughter of Archibald Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
As Peter Wood, he unsuccessfully contested Dearne Valley as a Conservative in the February general election of 1974 and the October general election of the same year. In 1980 he succeeded his father in the earldom.
Lord Halifax is a non-executive director of Hambros Bank, Vice-Chairman of Christie, Manson & Woods, the European Division of Christie's international fine arts auctioneers, and a director of Yorkshire Post Newspapers Ltd.
Lord Halifax married Camilla Younger, of the Scottish brewing family, in 1976.
Her first husband, Richard Parker Bowles, is the brother of Andrew Parker Bowles, himself the first husband of the current Duchess of Cornwall; Lady Halifax and the Duchess were therefore once sisters-in-law.
Lord and Lady Halifax together have two children, a son and a daughter:
- James Charles Wood, Lord Irwin (born 24 August 1977), heir apparent to the earldom m. Georgia Clarkson
They have issue:
- Hon Rex Patrick Wood, born 12 Aug 2010.
- Hon Audrey Nancy Wood, born 23 Jan 2013.
- Lady Joanna Victoria Wood (born 15 Jan 1980)
From her first marriage Lady Halifax also has a daughter, named Emma Parker Bowles (born 1974).
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 2259 § 22582". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Lundy, Darryl. "Camilla Younger". The Peerage.[unreliable source] - website thePeerage.com
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Halifax
- Lundy, Darryl. "Charles Edward Peter Neil Wood, 3rd Earl of Halifax". The Peerage.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Charles Ingram Courtenay Wood
|Earl of Halifax
|This biography of an earl in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|