Charles Yardley Turner
Charles Yardley Turner (1850-1919) was an American artist and muralist.
Born in Baltimore, Turner studied art in Europe under French masters Jean-Paul Laurens, Mihály Munkácsy and Léon Bonnat. He was chairman of the school committee at the Art Students League of New York in 1879, early in its history, and president of the National Society of Mural Painters from 1904-1909. He was president of the Salmagundi Club from 1883 to 1889.
Turner was assistant director of decoration at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, under fellow muralist Francis Davis Millet, and for the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo he served as the colorist for the entire fair.
In 1912 he became director of the Maryland Institute Schools of Art and Design at Baltimore.
- Hotel Martinque, 32nd Street and Broadway, New York City, 1898, several murals
- Baltimore Court House, 1905, The Burning of the Peggy Stewart
- DeWitt Clinton High School, 1905
- Essex County Court House, Newark, New Jersey, 1905-1907
- Hudson County Courthouse, Jersey City, New Jersey, 1910
- Cuyahoga County Courthouse, Cleveland, Ohio, 1912
- Wisconsin State Capitol, 1917, four murals on the theme of Transportation in the North Hearing Room
- Bridal Procession (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- John Alden's Letter (Union League Club, Chicago)
- A Dordrecht Milkmaid (in the Water Color Society exhibit in 1892)
- Days That Are No More, picturing a widow and a child on the stile of a churchyard
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2013)|
- Charles Yardley Turner, American Art News, Vol. 17, No. 13 (Jan. 4, 1919), p. 7, http://www.jstor.org/stable/25589394
- Blashfield, Edwin Howland, Mural Painting in America: The Scammon Lectures, delivered before the Art Institute of Chicago, March 1912, and since greatly enlarged, Charles Scribner's Sons, New York, 1913
- brief online biography at marylandartsource.org
- Rines, George Edwin, ed. (1920). "Turner, Charles Yardley". Encyclopedia Americana.
- The Burning of The Peggy Stewart, The Baltimore City Circuit Court & Baltimore Bar Library Art Collection