Charleston, West Virginia (Amtrak station)
Charleston Amtrak Station in April 2009.
|Address||350 MacCorkle Avenue SE
Charleston, WV 25314
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Owned by||General Corporation|
|Passengers (2013)||10,038 2.4%|
Chesapeake and Ohio Depot
|Location||350 MacCorkle Avenue SE, Charleston, West Virginia United States|
|Area||0.5 acres (0.2 ha)|
|Architect||J.C. & A.L. Pennock|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival, Beaux Arts|
|MPS||South Hills MRA|
|NRHP Reference #||84000782|
|Added to NRHP||October 26, 1984|
Charleston is an Amtrak station in Charleston, West Virginia, served by the Cardinal. The station was originally owned by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. In September 2010, the station was purchased by General Corporation, a commercial real estate company based in Charleston. The station is located on the south bank of the Kanawha River, opposite downtown Charleston which lies on the north bank. Much of the station's outdoor space is covered by the South Side Bridge which allows both vehicular and pedestrian traffic to access the downtown areas. A fine dining establishment, Laury's Restaurant, occupies much of the station's interior.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 as the Chesapeake and Ohio Depot and part of the South Hills Multiple Resource Area. It is a two-story, brick and stone structure in the Neo-Classical Revival style. The facade features a shallow pavilion of paired Roman Doric columns facing the Kanawha River. It also has a low hipped, tile-covered roof with bracketed deep eaves.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of West Virginia" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form". Chesapeake and Ohio Depot. State of West Virginia, West Virginia Division of Culture and History, Historic Preservation. 2009-04-04.
- Amtrak – Stations – Charleston, WV
- Charleston Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- General Corporation
- Laury's Restaurant