Charleston Area Medical Center
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007)|
|Charleston Area Medical Center|
|Location||Charleston, West Virginia, United States|
|Affiliated university||West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
West Virginia University
|Lists||Hospitals in the United States|
Charleston Area Medical Center is the primary medical facility for the city of Charleston. There is a combined total of 838 staffed beds between three facilities. In 2008, there were 98,103 emergency department visits, 3,131 births, 33,132 ambulatory surgeries, 557,867 outpatient visits, along with 35,294 inpatient discharges, 26,597 general operating room procedures, 1,687 open-heart bypass procedures and 8,294 procedures performed in cardiac cath labs.
The largest branch is the CAMC Memorial Hospital, located in the Kanawha City neighborhood. It primarily hosts cardiac, oncology, and internal medicine cases. The second largest is CAMC General Hospital, located downtown, which focuses on neurology, orthopedics, trauma, and rehabilitation care. The third is Women and Children's Hospital, which is located on the banks of the Elk River. CAMC is affiliated with Teays Valley Hospital, located in Putnam County to the west of Charleston.
CAMC is a tertiary, teaching institution with numerous educational affiliations, the most significant of which is an affiliation arrangement with West Virginia University, in which CAMC hospitals are training sites for WVU medical students and WVU faculty supervise CAMC residents and fellows.
During 2005 and 2006, the facility won awards for being one of the top 50 hospitals for cardiology and cardiac surgery on the US News List of "Best Hospitals."
Graduate medical education
Charleston Area Medical Center operates a number of osteopathic residency programs accredited by the American Osteopathic Association. CAMC hosts residency programs in family medicine, internal medicine, emergency medicine, pediatrics, and urologic surgery. CAMC trains 172 interns, residents, and fellows each year.
- "Graduate Medical Education". CAMC.
- "Charleston Area Medical Center". US News & World Report.
- [dead link]
- "WVSOM/Charleston Area Med Ctr - Family Medicine Residency". American Osteopathic Association.
- "WVSOM/Charleston Area Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency". American Osteopathic Association.
- "WVSOM/Charleston Area Med Ctr - Emergency Medicine Residency". American Osteopathic Association.
- "WVSOM/Charleston Area Med Ctr - Pediatrics Residency". American Osteopathic Association.
- "WVSOM/Charleston Area Med Ctr - Urological Surgery Residency". American Osteopathic Association.
- "Snapshot 2014". CAMC.