Charlestown Township, Portage County, Ohio
|Charlestown Township, Ohio|
Location within Portage County
|• Total||23.1 sq mi (59.9 km2)|
|• Land||20.3 sq mi (52.7 km2)|
|• Water||2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|Elevation ||1,099 ft (335 m)|
|• Density||98.5/sq mi (38.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1086824|
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Freedom Township - north
- Windham Township - northeast corner
- Paris Township - east
- Palmyra Township - southeast corner
- Edinburg Township - south
- Rootstown Township - southwest corner
- Ravenna Township - west
- Shalersville Township - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Charlestown Township.
Name and history
Charlestown Township was organized in 1814.
It is the only Charlestown Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Portage County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Portage County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County, Its Townships, Towns, Villages, Schools, Churches, Industries, Etc.. Warner, Beers & Company. 1885. p. 415.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.