Queens, New York
|Employer||Long Island Star Journal (1946–1963), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (1966–1986)|
|Known for||"Writers wing," Baseball Hall of Fame, 1997|
Feeney was born in Queens, New York, in approximately 1925. He began his reporting career at age 19 covering the New York Giants for the Long Island Star Journal. He remained with the Star Journal covering the Giants from 1946 to 1963. He next covered the New York Yankees and New York Mets for the New York Journal American. He was the beat writer for Pittsburgh Post-Gazette assigned to cover the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1966 to 1986. He was inducted into the "writers wing" of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in 1997. After learning of his Hall of Fame selection, Feeney joked, "I always looked at myself as a utility infielder in our business. The next thing you know they're going to be putting Tommy Helms in the Hall of Fame. I'm in and Bill Mazeroski isn't. It's unbelievable."
As of 2009, Feeney had been living in the same apartment in Pittsburgh since 1966. That year, following the death of his wife and health problems, he moved into an assisted living facility in New York.
Selected articles by Feeney
- Hard Luck No Stranger (Ferguson Jenkins), Baseball Digest, January 1969
- Richie Hebner: New Favorite at Forbes Field (Richie Hebner), Baseball Digest, July 1969
- 3,000 Base Hits -- Next Goal for Clemente? (Roberto Clemente), Baseball Digest, October 1969
- Willie Stargell Puts It All Together (Willie Stargell), Baseball Digest, September 1971
- Clemente: Next to Join 3,000 Hit Club (Roberto Clemente), Baseball Digest, August 1972
- Sparky Lyle: Key to 'New' Yankees (Sparky Lyle), Baseball Digest, November 1972
- Willie Mays Recalls His Rookie Year (Willie Mays), Baseball Digest, December 1973
- The Iron Man Pitcher With Shortstop Arm (Mike Marshall), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 2, 1974
- Alvin Dark: A Man for All Seasons (Alvin Dark), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, October 17, 1974
- The 78-Year-Old Oakland Cheerleader (George Blanda), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, December 27, 1974
- Mr. Television for One Night (Ron Lyle), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, May 15, 1975
- Pressure? What Pressure? (Sparky Anderson), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, October 17, 1975
- One of a Kind (Danny Murtaugh), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, December 4, 1976
- Putting the Rapp on Hrabosky (Vern Rapp/Al Hrabosky), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 21, 1977
- Martin Reads George Between lines (Billy Martin), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, October 18, 1977
- "1996 J. G. Taylor Spink Award Winner Charley Feeney". National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
- "'PALLY' GETS THE CALL: FORMER POST-GAZETTE WRITER CHARLEY FEENEY GOES INTO THE HALL OF FAME TODAY". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. August 3, 1997.
- Ron Cook (October 24, 1996). "Charley Feeney: Baseball's Hall of Fame Calls". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- John Mehno (July 10, 2009). "Good luck, Pally". Altoona Mirror.