Cox in 2008
|Born||Charlie Thomas Cox
15 December 1982
Charlie Thomas Cox (born 15 December 1982) is an English actor best known for his starring role as Tristan Thorn in Stardust and more recently for his supporting role in the second and third seasons of HBO's Boardwalk Empire.
Cox, the youngest of five children, was born in London, England, and brought up in East Sussex. He is the son of Patricia C. A. "Trisha" (née Harley) and Andrew Frederick Seaforth Cox, who is a publisher. His paternal ancestors include Sir Andrew Agnew, 7th Baronet, Royal Navy captain Frederick Lewis Maitland, James Ogilvy, 4th Earl of Findlater, Sir David Carnegie, 4th Baronet, and a Colonial Governor of New York, Andrew Elliot. He was brought up as a Roman Catholic.
Cox was educated at two independent schools: at Ashdown House School in the village of Forest Row in East Sussex and Sherborne School in the market town of Sherborne in Dorset. He later trained at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in Bristol.
Life and career
Cox played the role of Tristan Thorne in the 2007 film Stardust. He was next seen in the 2008 film Stone of Destiny in which he played Ian Hamilton. He made his West End debut in a double role of Harold Pinter's The Lover and The Collection at the Comedy Theatre in London, and in the same year played the Duke of Crowborough in the pilot episode of the ITV drama series Downton Abbey. He also appeared in Kleist's The Prince of Homburg, playing the title role, at the Donmar Warehouse in London in 2010. He played the part of St. Josemaría Escrivá in the 2011 Roland Joffé film There Be Dragons. Also in 2011, Cox signed on to play a recurring role in the second season of the Martin Scorsese-produced HBO original series Boardwalk Empire as an Irish immigrant with ties to the IRA. His character became a regular for the series' third season, which began broadcast in September 2012.
|2002||Judge John Deed||Young Vicar||TV series (Episode: "Everyone's Child")|
|2003||dot the i||Theo||Film|
|2004||The Merchant of Venice||Lorenzo||Film|
|2005||Things to Do Before You're 30||Danny||Film|
|2006||Inspector Lewis||Danny Griffon||TV film|
|2006||A for Andromeda||Dennis Bridger||TV film|
|2006||The Maidens' Conspiracy||Diafebus||Film|
|2008||Harry, Henry and the Prostitute||Harry||Short Film|
|2008||Stone of Destiny||Ian Hamilton||Film|
|2009||Big Guy||Chuck||Short Film|
|2010||Crossing the Wall: The Making of Stardust||Tristan Thorne||Video|
|2010||Downton Abbey||Duke of Crowborough||TV series (one episode)|
|2011||There Be Dragons||Josemaría Escrivá||Film|
|2011||Moby Dick||Ishmael||TV mini-series (part 1 and part 2)|
|2011–12||Boardwalk Empire||Owen Sleater||TV series|
|2011||Nancy, Sid and Sergio||N/A||Short film|
|2012||A Sunny Morning||Adam||Short film|
|2013||Legacy||Charles Thoroughgood||TV Film|
|2014||Dracula Untold||Emperor Caligula||Filming|
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005.; at ancestry.com
- "Charlie Cox: Star turn". The Independent. 29 January 2008.
- Hardy, Rebecca (11 October 2007). "Fantasy movie sprinkles unknown actor in Stardust". Daily Mail. Retrieved 12 October 2007.
- "British actors line up for film about life of Opus Dei founder". Catholic Herald. 4 September 2009. Retrieved 20 June 2010. "St Josemaria is played by the English actor Charlie Cox, who is a Catholic. "I've been brought up a Catholic.""
- Marty Shaw (1 February 2011). "Charlie Cox joins the Boardwalk Empire". BSC. Retrieved 16 February 2011.[dead link]
- "TV Castings: Teri Polo, Darrell Hammond book pilots, Boardwalk adds a Recurring". Deadline.com. 31 January 2011. Retrieved 16 February 2011.