Tenure with the Colorado Rockies
|Colorado Rockies – No. 23|
|Outfielder / Second baseman|
April 10, 1989 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|May 13, 2012 for the San Francisco Giants|
(through June 5, 2014)
|Runs batted in||19|
San Francisco Giants
The San Francisco Giants drafted Culberson in the first round (51st overall) in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of Calhoun High School in Calhoun, Georgia. They added him to the 40 man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft after the 2011 season, in which he batted .259 with 10 home runs and 56 runs batted in for the Richmond Flying Squirrels of the Double-A Eastern League. He was rated the seventh best second base prospect prior to the 2012 season.
After beginning the 2012 season with the Fresno Grizzlies of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, the Giants promoted Culberson to the big league club on May 13, 2012. He made his MLB debut that day and collected his first major league base hit against Arizona Diamondbacks starter Joe Saunders.
On July 27, 2012, Culberson was traded to the Colorado Rockies for Marco Scutaro. He spent the rest of the 2012 season with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, the Rockies' AAA affiliate, and continued to play for them in 2013. In 97 games for the Sky Sox, he hit .310/.338/.524 with 14 HR, 64 RBI and 8 3B.
On July 29, Culberson was recalled by the Rockies, replacing Jordan Pacheco. When Carlos González went on the disabled list, Culberson and Corey Dickerson entered a platoon situation in left field. On August 16, 2013, Culberson hit his first MLB home run off Wei-Yin Chen of the Baltimore Orioles. In 47 games with the Rockies, he hit .293/.317/.404 with 2 HR, 12 RBI and 5 SB.
Culberson's father, Charles, was the Giants 16th pick in the 1984 draft and played in their minor league system for five seasons.
- Angel Villalona among Giants' 40-man roster additions as Rule 5 Draft looms | SFGiants.com: News
- Prospect Watch: Top 10 second basemen | MLB.com: News
- San Francisco Giants take series against Arizona Diamondbacks with 7-3 win
- Giants acquire INF Marco Scutaro | espn.com
- "Rockies recall INF Charlie Culberson from Colorado Springs". Rockies Press Release. July 29, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Charlie Culberson on Twitter