November 3, 1987 |
Lake Forest, Illinois
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|College team||University of Michigan|
Charlie Houchin (born November 3, 1987) is an American competition swimmer who specializes in freestyle events. He earned a gold medal as a member of the winning United States team in the 4x200-meter freestyle relay at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Houchin graduated from William G. Enloe High School in Raleigh, North Carolina. Both of his parents were All-American swimmers for North Carolina State University. Houchin attended the University of Michigan, where he swam for the Michigan Wolverines swimming and diving team in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) competition from 2006 to 2010. He graduated from Michigan with a bachelor's degree in sports management in 2010. He currently swims for IX3[sports] in Jacksonville, Florida.
At the 2011 World Aquatics Championships in Shanghai, Houchin competed in one event, the 400-meter freestyle. Houchin posted a time of 3:48.80 in the heats and did not advance to the final, finishing fourteenth overall.
At the 2012 United States Olympic Trials, the qualifying meet for the 2012 Olympics, Houchin made the U.S. Olympic team for the first time by finishing sixth in the 200-meter freestyle with a time of 1:46.88, which qualified him to swim in the 4x200-meter freestyle as a member of the U.S. relay team. Houchin also competed in the 400-meter freestyle at the trials, and finished fourth overall (3:48.32). At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Houchin earned a gold medal by swimming for the winning U.S. team in the preliminaries of the 4x200-meter freestyle relay.
At the 2013 World Aquatics Championships in Barcelona, Houchin combined with Conor Dwyer, Ryan Lochte, and Ricky Berens in the 4x200-meter freestyle relay, with the team finishing in first place for the gold medal. Swimming the third leg, Houchin recorded a split of 1:45.59, and the team finished with a final time of 7:01.72.
Houchin is a Christian. Houchin has spoken about his faith saying, "I like to think I carry a quiet confidence into the water because of my relationship with Christ.He created a swimming timing system called Meet Central, a system that helps swim meets go faster and have more accurate times. This allows swim teams to use mobile devices to start, time, judge, and score very quickly.
- List of Olympic medalists in swimming (men)
- List of University of Michigan alumni
- Michigan Wolverines
- "2010 FINA World Swimming Championships (25 m) – Men's 4 × 200 metre freestyle relay (heats)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
- "2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 400 metre freestyle (heats)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- OmegaTiming.com, 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Swimming, Men's 200m Freestyle (final). Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- "Charlie Houchin".
- Charlie Houchin – National Team swimmer profile at USASwimming.org
- Charlie Houchin – University of Michigan athlete profile at MGoBlue.com
- Charlie Houchin on Twitter