Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency
|Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency|
Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency, Princesse of Condé
|Spouse(s)||Henry II, Prince of Condé|
IssueAnne Genevieve, Duchess of Longueville
Louis, Prince of Condé
Armand, Prince of Conti
|Noble family||House of Montmorency|
|Father||Henri I de Montmorency|
|Mother||Louise de Budos|
11 May 1594|
|Died||2 December 1650
Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency (11 May 1594 – 2 December 1650) was an heiress of one of France's leading ducal families, and Princess of Condé by her marriage to Henry de Bourbon. She almost became a mistress of Henry IV of France, but her husband escaped with her after the wedding, and did not return to France until after King Henry's death.
The daughter of Henry de Montmorency and his second wife, Louise de Budos. Charlotte lost her mother before she was five years of age, and was brought up under the care of her aunt Charlotte, widow of Charles Duke d'Angoulême. In 1609, fifteen-year-old Charlotte-Marguerite wed the Prince of Condé in a glittering ceremony.
Along with many other French nobles, her husband bitterly opposed the rule of Marshal d'Ancre, who abandoned the policy of the late King Henry IV. In September 1616, Henry II, Prince of Condé and Charlotte Marguerite were arrested and imprisoned at Vincennes, where their daughter Anne Genevieve was conceived and born three years later, in 1619.
In 1632, Charlotte-Marguerite's only brother, Henri, Duke of Montmorency was executed for intriguing against Cardinal Richelieu. The title passed to her. She was buried at the Carmel du faubourg Saint-Jacques, a Carmelite convent in Paris.
Her children with Prince Henry II were:
- List of Princesses of Condé
- Media related to Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency at Wikimedia Commons
- Architectural record, Volume 16. Chantily Castle. p. 509.
- Pardoe, Julia, The life of Marie de Medicis, queen of France, (James Pott and Company, 1902), 389.
- Holt, Emily Sarah (2010). Memoirs of royal ladies. Princess of Conde: Nabu press. p. 135. ISBN 1146580428.
- Herman, Eleanor (2005). Sex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and Revenge. The Penalties of Defiance: William Morrow Paperbacks. p. 95. ISBN 0060585447.
- Chisholm, Hugh. The Encyclopaedia Britannica, Or Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature: Navi - Ornithology, Volume 16. The encyclopedia. p. 986.
- Fetridge, William Pembroke (1878). The American travellers' guides: Hand-books for ..., Volume 17, Part 1. France. p. 421.
- The Encyclopaedia Britannica, Vol.14, Ed. Thomas Spencer Baynes, (Henry G. Allen and Company, 1888), 867. By Thomas Spencer Baynes
Charlotte Marguerite de MontmorencyBorn: 11May 1594 Died: 2 December 1650
|Duchess of Montmorency||Succeeded by