Charlottesville Union Station
|Address||810 West Main Street
2 side platform 1 East-West (CSX Rail)1 North South (NS Rail)
|Owned by||Union Station Partners LLC|
|Passengers (2013)||131,127 2.8%|
The Charlottesville Union Station, located in Charlottesville, Virginia, the county seat of Albemarle County, is served by Amtrak's Cardinal, Crescent, and daily Northeast Regional passenger trains. The station is within walking distance of the University of Virginia, which is the major employer in the area.
The original Union Station was built in 1885 to jointly serve the Charlottesville and Rapidan Railroad, the Virginia Midland Railway, and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. Major renovations in 1915 included the construction of a baggage handling facility.
Since 1999, the former baggage handling facility is home to the Amtrak ticket office and waiting area. The main facility has been privately developed into a commercial restaurant. Plans coincident with the redevelopment to create a transportation hub at Union Station were not realized. Instead in 2007 Charlottesville completed the Downtown Transit Center one mile across town.
However, the station does serve as an intermodal transportation nexus, with connecting motorcoach service on site, a 200+ space parking lot, and access to a full-service Greyhound Lines bus station down the street. Such services allow Charlottesville travelers to reach various airports in the region. The Charlottesville Free Trolley stops just north of the station, and connects Downtown and the University of Virginia.
Out of the twenty Virginia stations, Charlottesville is the fourth busiest in the state according to the FY2013 ridership.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, Commonwealth of Virginia" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Charlottesville Tomorrow, Transportation Matrix. Retrieved November 2, 2007.
- Hawes Spencer (2007-06-22). "Riding the rails: It's the only way to fly". The Hook (newspaper) (Charlottesville). Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- "Amtrak Virginia announces new Northeast Regional service".
- Media related to Charlottesville Union Station at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Charlottesville, VA
- Charlottesville (CVS) Great American Stations (Amtrak)
- Charlottesville Amtrak Station (USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)
|This Virginia train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|