Charlton, New York
|Charlton, New York|
|• Total||32.8 sq mi (85.0 km2)|
|• Land||32.8 sq mi (85.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Density||120.5/sq mi (46.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0978812|
The Town of Charlton is located in the southwest part of the county and is north of Schenectady.
The region was first settled around 1770 by travelers from the small village of Charlton, located in Worcestershire, UK. The town was formed in 1792 from the Town of Ballston immediately after Saratoga County was established. The town was previously known as "New Freehold" due to the number of settlers from Freehold, New Jersey.
- John W. Taylor, Congressman, Speaker of the House.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 32.8 square miles (85 km2), of which, 32.8 square miles (85 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.06%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,954 people, 1,429 households, and 1,204 families residing in the town. The population density was 120.5 people per square mile (46.5/km²). There were 1,464 housing units at an average density of 44.6 per square mile (17.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.46% White, 0.28% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.38% Asian, 0.05% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.96% of the population.
There were 1,429 households out of which 34.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.4% were married couples living together, 5.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.7% were non-families. 12.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.74 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 24.2% from 25 to 44, 31.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 95.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $63,396, and the median income for a family was $66,250. Males had a median income of $47,813 versus $30,208 for females. The per capita income for the town was $27,924. About 0.6% of families and 1.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Charlton
- Blue Corners – A hamlet by the west town line.
- Charlton – A hamlet south of the town center on County Roads 51 and 52. The Charlton Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
- Harmony Corners – A hamlet in the northeast corner of the town on NY-67.
- Holbrook Corners – A hamlet near the north town line, located on NY-67.
- Komar Park – A hamlet near the southeast part of Charlton..
- Tucker Heights – A hamlet by the south town line.
- West Charlton – A hamlet northwest of Charlton, located on NY-147. The West Charlton United Presbyterian Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
- Wheeler Estates – A location in the southeast part of Charlton.