Charlton W. Tebeau
Charlton W. Tebeau (1904-2000) was a prominent American historian of Florida. Tebeau was born in Springfield, Georgia. He took a teaching job at the University of Miami in 1939, where he remained for 37 years, ultimately serving as chairman of the University of Miami's History Department for 23 years.
Tebeau wrote many books on the history of Florida. Best known is A History of Florida, which was published in 1971 by University of Miami Press. This was the most comprehensive history of Florida published to that time, and became a standard textbook. It is now in its third edition. Esquire magazine named Tebeau a super-prof in 1966.
The Charlton W. Tebeau Chair in American History has established at the University of Miami in Tebeau's honor. There are currently two Tebeau Chairs of history Michael Bernath (Tebeau Assistant Professor) and Robin F. Bachin (Tebeau Associate Professor). The Florida Historical Association also annually awards the "Charlton Tebeau Book Award" for the publication of a general interest book on Florida history.
- 1934. The Planter in the Lower South, 1865-1880. Iowa City: The University. OCLC: 47687820
- 1955. The Story of the Chokoloskee Bay Country: with the reminiscences of pioneer C.S. "Ted" Smallwood. Coral Gables, Florida: University of Miami Press. OCLC: 1513779
- 1963. They Lived in the Park; the story of man in the Everglades National Park. Coral Gables Florida: Everglades Natural History Association. OCLC: 1535965
- 1964. Values shaping Southern thought: an address. Whitewater, Wisconsin: Wisconsin State University. OCLC: 52863144
- 1965. With Ruby Leach Carson. Florida from Indian trail to space age: a history. Delray Beach, Florida: Southern Publishing Company. OCLC: 1414052
- 1966. Florida's last frontier; the history of Collier County. Coral Gables, Florida: University of Miami Press. OCLC: 485484
- 1968. Man in the Everglades; 2,000 years of human history in the Everglades National Park. Coral Gables, Florida: University of Miami Press. OCLC: 440131 (2nd edition of They Lived in the Park)
- 1971. A History of Florida. Coral Gables, Florida: University of Miami Press. ISBN 0-87024-149-4
- 1972. Synagogue in the central city: Temple Israel of Greater Miami, 1922-1972. Coral Gables, Florida: University of Miami Press. ISBN 0-87024-239-3
- 1973. Past environment from historical sources. United States National Park Service, South Florida Environmental Project. Reproduced and distributed by National Technical Information Service, United States Department of Commerce. OCLC: 2292042
- 1976. The University of Miami : a golden anniversary history, 1926-1976. Coral Gables, Florida: University of Miami Press. ISBN 0-87024-297-0
- Top 50 most important Floridians of the 20th Century - Charlton W. Tebeau - URL retrieved June 30, 2008
- University of Miami - The Charlton W. Tebeau Collection - URL retrieved June 26, 2006
- Florida Historical Society Awards - URL retrieved June 26, 2006
- Find in a Library with WorldCat - URL retrieved June 26, 2006