Yi in San Diego, CA, July 2009
|Born||Charlyne Amanda Yi
January 4, 1986
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, comedian, musician, writer|
Charlyne Amanda Yi (born January 4, 1986) is an American actress, comedian, musician, and writer. Her performances do not include joke-telling as in standup comedy; instead, she uses different tactics such as music, magic, games, and often audience participation. In one performance, she had her head shaved while she sang the song "Nothing Compares 2 U". Her screenwriting debut, the feature film Paper Heart, won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival. She co-starred as Dr. Chi Park in the medical drama House, alongside Hugh Laurie as one of the doctors on House's team.
Yi was born in Los Angeles, California, the daughter of Lydia and Luciano Yi. Her mother, a native of the Philippines, is of Filipino and Spanish descent, and her father is of Mexican, Korean, Irish, German, French, and Native American ancestry. She attended the University of California, Riverside before leaving to pursue a full-time career in comedy.
Yi began by performing in Fontana, California. She has since performed shows in Los Angeles at The Steve Allen Theater, and The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. In 2005 and 2006, she performed in the New York Comedy Festival, and in 2007 HBO's U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colorado. Yi's film debut was in Judd Apatow's 2007 film, Knocked Up. In 2008, Yi performed as part of the Apatow for Destruction Live comedy show at Montreal's Just For Laughs Festival.
Yi and Paul Rust formed the band The Glass Beef. The duo share one electric guitar and both sing lead vocals. In 2006, they released their debut album, The Farewell Album, produced by John Spiker, bassist of Tenacious D.
In January 2010, Yi performed a duet about break-up lines (the opposite of pick-up lines) with Demetri Martin on the episode "2" for the Comedy Central sketch series Important Things with Demetri Martin. However, the duet was cut from the final edit of the episode.
She also plays in the band Moses Campbell.
Yi has been involved with Oxfam America since 2010, working to raise awareness about poverty and hunger around the world. Yi started the non-profit Caring is Cool in 2011, and hosted a benefit show to raise money for the organization.
|2009||Paper Heart||Charlyne Yi||Nominated - Comedy Film Award for Best Actress|
|All About Steve||Young Protester|
|2010||Fast||Donna Fast||A 2 minute video short|
|2012||This Is 40||Jodi|
|2006||Help Me Help You||Charlyne||1 episode, "The Sheriff"|
|2007||30 Rock||Grace Park||1 episode, "The C Word"|
|Cold Case||Dorky Girl||1 episode, "Stand Up and Holler"|
|2008||Miss Guided||Karey||1 episode, "Pool Party"|
|2011||Love Bites||Adult store cashier||1 episode, "Firsts (Pilot)"|
|2011–2012||House||Dr. Chi Park||Series regular, season 8|
|2011||Yo Gabba Gabba!||Edith||1 Episode, Episode 55 Treasure|
|2013||Conan||Charlyne||Season 3, episode 135|
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905-1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Searchable at http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/39461
- Boyd, Betsy (2007-02-26). "Charlyne Yi: 10 Comics to Watch". Variety. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- Stated in Paper Heart, 2009
- Black, John, "Falling in Love with Charlyne Yi", Color Magazine USA
- Prentice, Claire, "Preview: Charlyne Yi - Dances on the Moon", edinburgh-festivals.com, 3/8/2010
- Keepnews, Peter (2005-11-03). "Upstart Comedians Goofing on Andy". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- "Just For Laughs highlights". Variety. 2008-07-10.
- Film Review: Paper Heart at the Wayback Machine (archived January 10, 2010)
- "25 under 25"
- "Song Away by Hockey with Charlyne Yi".
- "Bio: Charlyne Yi / Dr. Chi Park", FOX website for the House MD series
- "Charlyne Yi as Dr. Chi Park on House". channelAPA.com. November 1, 2011. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- Actress Charlyne Yi fights hunger with Oxfam — Oxfam America
- Charlyne Yi | Caring is Cool is my new NON-PROFIT I made to help
- Charlyne Yi on Myspace
- Charlyne Yi at the Internet Movie Database
- Charlyne Yi's channel on YouTube
- June 2009 Interview with L.A. Record
- Long interview with Charlyne Yi in The Believer, March/April 2010