Charnwood (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Charnwood in Leicestershire.
Location of Leicestershire within England.
|Population||94,748 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||75,454 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Anstey, Birstall,
East Goscote, Queniborough, Rothley, Syston, Thurmaston, Woodhouse Eaves, Glenfield, Kirby Muxloe, Leicester Forest East, Groby
|Member of parliament||Ed Argar (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Loughborough, Rutland and Melton, Blaby, Bosworth|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
The seat emerged from the Boundary Commission report of 1995 reflecting population increases in Leicestershire for the 1997 general election; the largest part of it was previously in Loughborough. To date Charnwood has been a Conservative Party stronghold.
Charnwood is close to Leicester, between the city and Nottingham, and covers slightly more than half of the local government district of Charnwood to the north of Leicester. The town of Loughborough is the largest in the borough, but lies in a separate constituency.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Charnwood|
|Labour||Sean Kelly-Walsh ||11,453||21.9||+2.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon Sansome||3,605||6.9||-14.6|
|General Election 2010: Charnwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Robin Webber-Jones||11,531||21.5||+3.2|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Charnwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Sue King||9,057||17.9||+1.7|
|General Election 2001: Charnwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Susan King||7,835||16.2||+3.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Charnwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Roger Wilson||7,224||12.9||N/A|
|Referendum Party||Hugh Meechan||2,104||3.7||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Charnwood: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Charnwood 1997-". Hansard 1803-2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Charnwood Parliamentary constituency". BBC. 8 May 2015.
- "Conservatives choose councillor to fight Stephen Dorrell's Charnwood seat in General Election". Leicester Mercury. 28 January 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- Dan J Martin (19 February 2015). "UKIP lifts suspension of Charnwood parliamentary candidate Lynton Yates after "ban drivers on benefits" leaflet". Leicester Mercury. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- Charnwood, UKPollingReport
- nomis Constituency Profile for Charnwood — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.