Chartered Institute of Linguists
|Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL)
|Predecessor||Institute of Linguists|
|Legal status||Chartered Institute|
|Objective||Promoting academic and business languages skills|
|Member's designations||ACIL, MCIL and FCIL|
|Patron||HRH Prince Michael of Kent GCVO|
|Joint Acting Chief Executives||Hilary Maxwell-Hyslop and Alan Peacock|
The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) was known as the Institute of Linguists and IoL before receiving its Royal Charter in 2005. The CIOL is a British professional and learned society for education founded in 1910, which serves to promote proficiency in modern languages worldwide.
Fellowship is awarded to linguists following election by existing Fellows and is regarded as a great honour. Other categories of membership are Student, Associate, Member and Chartered Linguist. The IoL Educational Trust is a registered charity and accredited Awarding Organisation.
Name and mission 
The Chartered Institute of Linguists' mission is to:
Some notable living Fellows and Honorary Fellows 
- Donald Adamson
- Dr Nicholas Bowen (Hon FCIL)
- Professor James Coleman
- Professor Tim Connell
- Baroness Coussins (Hon FCIL)
- David Crystal (Hon FCIL)
- Andrew Dalby (Hon FCIL)
- Professor John Gillespie
- Professor Muhammad Abdel-Haleem
- Professor Susan Price
- Sir Ivor Roberts
- Dr Peter Sutton
- Diana Wallis MEP (Hon FCIL)
- Michael Worton (Hon FCIL)
- Dr Wenhui Zhong
The IoL is also a language assessment and accredited awarding body. Among other things, the qualifications are useful for court and police interpreting. These are:
- Certificate in Bilingual Skills (CBS)
- Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI)
- Diploma in Translation (DipTrans)
- International Diploma in Bilingual Communication (IDBC)
- Metropolitan Police Test (Met Test)
See also 
- The Linguist - Magazine of the Chartered Institute of Linguists
- Institute of Translation & Interpreting
- List of UK interpreting and translation associations
- "Royal Charter 2005". Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- "About Us: www.iol.org.uk". Chartered Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- "Nick Bowen: CV". European Business School, London.
- "Tim Connell: CV".www.gresham.ac.uk
- "Michael John Worton: CV". University College London. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Examinations: www.iol.org.uk". Chartered Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- IOL Educational Trust, Registered Charity no. 1090263 at the Charity Commission
- Chartered Institute of Linguists
- Washington, DC Examination Center
- NRPSI Ltd
- The Daily Telegraph: "Language skills are being lost in translation" (qv. Charles Crawford CMG)
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a professional association is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This translation article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a linguistics organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|