Chartered Institute of Marketing
|Headquarters||Cookham, Berkshire, England|
The Chartered Institute of Marketing is a UK-based professional association with 40,000 members. CIM offers professional development to marketing practitioners and publishes a monthly magazine, The Marketer.
CIM was founded as the Sales Managers' Association by 12 sales managers in 1911. In 1921 it was incorporated as the ISMA and in 1928 it held its first professional exams. In 1960 the ISMA changed its name to the Institute of Marketing and Sales Management, and in 1968 it became the Institute of Marketing. Three years later, it launched marketing groups for specific industries and moved to its current headquarters. In 1989, the Institute was awarded the Royal Charter and henceforth became known as The Chartered Institute of Marketing. In 1998, The Institute began to award Chartered Marketer status to members. The organisation was awarded charitable status in 2001, but it was withdrawn in 2004.
In October 2014, the organization rebranded for the first time since receiving chartered status in 1989, introducing both a new brand vision and a new brand identity and logo.
Chartered Institute of Marketing memberships are awarded in one of three categories: Fellow, Member, or Associate. To become a Chartered Marketer, members must complete 35 hours of continuous professional development (CPD) activity annually (1 July - 30 June) for a minimum of two consecutive years. CIM also develops professional courses and awards certificates in three levels: Certificate, Diploma or PostGraduate Diploma. The CIM Marketing Excellence Awards recognise marketing programs.
A Chartered Marketer is considered the pinnacle of professional qualification for Marketing Management. Originally only achievable by passing the post graduate (masters degree level ) Diploma in Marketing Management, and 2 years of CPD (35 hours per year). A Chartered Marketer is professionally qualified in Strategic Marketing Management.
- "The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)". studybusinessmasters.com. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- What next for the CIM? Brand Republic 25 March 2004
- Peter Fisk stands down from CIM chief executive post, Marketing magazine, 17 March 2004
- CIM struck of charity commissions register, Marketingweek 21 October, 2004
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing relaunches with new identity and purpose Marketing Week 27 October 2014
- "Introductory Certificate in Marketing". The Chartered Institute of Marketing. Retrieved 25 February 2013.