May 5, 1964 |
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
|Fields||Chemistry, Chemical Physics, Theoretical & Computational Chemistry|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi|
|Alma mater||Delhi University, Cambridge University|
|Doctoral advisor||Prof. D. C. Clary, FRS|
|Notable awards||Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award (2009)|
Charusita Chakravarty is an Indian academic and scientist. She is a professor of Chemistry at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi since 1999. In 2009 she was conferred Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in the field of Chemical Science. In 1999, she received B.M. Birla Science Award. She is an Associate Member of the Centre for Computational Material Science, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
Chakravarty has been working in the following fields—
- Theoretical Chemistry and Chemical Physics
- Classical and Quantum Monte Carlo
- Molecular Dynamics
- Structure and Dynamics of Liquids
- Water and Hydration
Personal life and Education
Chakravarty was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. She did her B.Sc. Chemistry program from St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi. She then went to Cambridge University to do her last two years of Natural Science Tripos. She did her Ph.D. from Cambridge in quantum scattering and spectroscopy with David Clary.
Here is a list of selected publications and collaborative research works where Chakravarty has worked—
- Agarwal, M., Singh, M., Jabes, S. B., and Charusita Chakravarty, Excess entropy scaling of transport properties in network-forming ionic melts (SiO2 and BeF2). J. Chem. Phys. 2011, 134, 014502
- Sharma, R., Agarwal, M. and Charusita, C. Estimating the entropy of liquids from atom-atom radial distribution functions: silica, beryllium fluoride and water. Mol. Phys. 2008, 106, 1925.
- Agarwal, M. and Chakravarty, C. Waterlike structural and excess entropy anomalies in liquid beryllium fluoride. J. Phys. Chem. B, 2007, 111, 13294.
- Sharma, R., Nath, Chakraborty, S. N. and Charusita C. Entropy, Diffusivity and Structural Order in Liquids with Water-like Anomalies. J. Chem. Phys. 2006, 125, 204501.
- Mudi, A.; Chakravarty,C. Multiple Time-scale Behaviour of the Hydrogen Bond Network in Water. J. Phys. Chem. B, 2004, 108, 19607.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology (2009)
- B.M. Birla Science Award (1999)
- Indian National Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists (1996)
- Anil Kumar Bose Memorial Award of Indian National Science Academy (1999)
- Fellowship of Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore (2006)
- Fellowship of the Department of Science and Technology (India) (2004)
- "Elixir of Life: Charusita Chakravarty". India Today. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "Charusita Chakravarty IIT Delhi profile". IIT Delhi. Retrieved 15 March 2014.