Chateau-Thierry American Monument
|Chateau-Thierry American Monument|
Panoramic view at night.
|For the involvement of US forces during World War I|
|Location||near Chateau-Thierry, France|
|Designed by||Paul Philippe Cret
The memorial is situated upon Hill 204 and commands a wide view of the valley of the Marne River. It is located about 54 miles (87 km) east of Paris, 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southeast of the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial, and 17 miles (27 km) southwest of the Oise-Aisne American Cemetery and Memorial. It commemorates the achievements of United States forces that fought in the region during World War I. In 1918, the 2nd and 3rd United States Infantry Divisions took part in heavy fighting around the area during the Second Battle of the Marne, which took place during the wider German Spring Offensive. The 4th Marine Brigade, which made a name for themselves in the Battle of Belleau Wood, fought as part of the 2nd Infantry Division. The bodies of a number of US servicemen who were killed during the fighting are interred in cemeteries nereby.
Two stone pylons mark the entrance to the memorial from Highway N-3 which runs from Paris to Château-Thierry. The monument consists of a double colonnade rising above a long terrace, as designed by Paul Philippe Cret. On its west facade are sculptured figures representing the United States and France. The sculptor was the French-American artist Alfred Bottiau. The English inscription reads, "This monument has been erected by the United States of America to commemorate the services of her troops and those of France who fought in this region during the World War. It stands as a lasting symbol of the friendship and cooperation between the French and American Armies." On its east facade is a map showing American military operations that took place in the region and an orientation table pointing out the significant battle sites.
- Frommer's France 2011, p. 350.
- "ABMC Chateau-Thierry American Monument web page". American Battle Monuments Commission. Retrieved 28 January 2011.
- Homsher 2006, p. 32.
- The American Battle Monuments Commission 1983, p. 15.
- Homsher 2006, p. 33.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Château-Thierry American Monument.|
- American Battle Monuments Commission (1983). Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial. Washington: American Battle Monuments Commission. OCLC 20152771.
- Homsher, David C. (2006). American Battlefields of World War I: Chateau-Thierry—Then and Now. Battleground Productions. ISBN 978-0-9702443-0-7.
- Prince, Danforth; Porter, Darwin (2010). Frommer's France 2011. Frommer's. ISBN 978-0-470-61438-9.