Chatfield Hollow State Park
|Chatfield Hollow State Park|
|Connecticut State Park|
Paul F. Wildermann Boardwalk
|Elevation||141 ft (43 m) |
|Area||412 acres (167 ha) |
|Management||Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection|
|Website: Chatfield Hollow State Park|
Chatfield Hollow State Park is a Connecticut state park located in the town of Killingworth. The park offers hiking trails, a swimming beach, trout fishing, mountain biking, rock climbing, and picnicking areas. Park attractions include Indian caves, historic sites, a restored water wheel, and a reproduction covered bridge. The Oak Lodge Nature Center is open seasonally and offers nature programs and information about the park.
Activities and amenities
Approximately 20 miles of hiking trails originate within the park and extend into an adjacent section of Cockaponset State Forest. This includes the Chatfield Trail, a part of the Blue-Blazed hiking trail network. Hiking is rugged at times with many rock outcroppings and roots. In addition, the 825-foot (251 m) Paul F. Wildermann Boardwalk allows visitors a means to cross an inland swamp without disturbing it.
Technical cross-country mountain biking is also a popular recreational pursuit along some of the most difficult trails in the state. Among the most difficult are the Lookout Trail and the Pond Trail, which is a side trail that loops off the Deep Woods Trail.
Chatfield Hollow State Park is one of Connecticut's eleven Trout Parks. It gets special attention from the Connecticut DEEP with stockings on opening day as well as throughout the season. The best time to fish the Trout Parks is the period between opening day and Memorial day. The ponds and streams at Chatfield Hollow are easily accessible for young and novice anglers.
- "Chatfield Hollow State Park". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Legislative Program Review and Investigations Committee (January 23, 2014). "State Parks and Forests: Funding". Staff Findings and Recommendations. Connecticut General Assembly. p. A-1. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Chatfield Hollow State Park". State Parks and Forests. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- "Chatfield Hollow State Park". Ohranger.com. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Chatfield Hollow State Park". Connecticut Explorer's Guide. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- "Connecticut DEP Rededicates Chatfield Hollow State Park Boardwalk in Memory of Longtime DEP Employee Paul F. Wildermann". Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- "Chatfield Hollow Main Wall". Mountain Project. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- "Chatfield Hollow Climbing Area". Climbing and Bouldering. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- "DEEP Trout Parks". Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- Chatfield Hollow State Park Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
- Chatfield Hollow State Park Map Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection