Chatfield Township, Crawford County, Ohio
|Chatfield Township, Crawford County, Ohio|
Location of Chatfield Township in Crawford County
|• Total||29.97 sq mi (77.62 km2)|
|• Land||29.94 sq mi (77.55 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||24/sq mi (9.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085934|
Chatfield Township is one of the sixteen townships of Crawford County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census there were 724 people living in the township, 535 of whom were in the unincorporated portions.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Venice Township, Seneca County - north
- Cranberry Township - east
- Liberty Township - south
- Holmes Township - southwest
- Lykens Township - west
- Bloom Township, Seneca County - northwest
The village of Chatfield is located in the center of Chatfield Township.
Name and history
Chatfield Township was likely named for Silas and Oliver Chatfield, pioneer settlers.
It is the only Chatfield Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Chatfield township, Crawford County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- History of Crawford County and Ohio. Baskin & Battey. 1881. p. 650.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.