18 June 1913 |
|Part of a series on|
Chatral Rinpoche, Sangye Dorje (Tibetan: བྱ་བྲལ་སངས་རྒྱས་རྡོ་རྗེ་, Wylie: Bya-bral Sangs-rgyas Rdo-rje) (born June 18, 1913) is a Dzogchen master and a reclusive yogi known for his great realization and strict discipline. Rinpoche is one of the few living disciples of Khenpo Ngagchung and is widely regarded as one of the most highly realized Dzogchen yogis. In addition to his relationship with Khenpo Ngagchung, Chatral Rinpoche also studied with some of the last century's most renowned masters, including Dudjom Rinpoche, Jamyang Khyentse Chokyi Lodro, and the famed dakini Sera Khandro. Rinpoche is one of the primary lineage holders of the Longchen Nyingthig, and in particular the lineage that descends through Jigme Lingpa's heart son Jigme Gyalwe Nyugu and then on to Patrul Rinpoche.
Rinpoche has shunned institutional and political involvement his whole life, choosing instead to live the life of a wandering yogi. To this day, despite his age, he continues to move about, rarely remaining in one place for more than a few months. A lay yogi, he is also greatly concerned with maintaining strict discipline in the context of the Dzogchen view. He has advocated vegetarianism and has a yearly practice of ransoming the lives of thousands of animals in India. In addition to his emphasis on the union of view and conduct, Rinpoche also stresses the practice of retreat. He has established numerous retreat centers throughout the Himalayas, including in Pharping, Yolmo, and Darjeeling.
- Khenpo Ngagchung (also known as Khenpo Ngaga, Ngawang Palzang)
- Dudjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorje
- Jamyang Khyentse Chokyi Lodro (previous incarnation of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche)
- Sera Khandro 
Though his main lineage is the Longchen Nyingthig, Chatral Rinpoche is also closely associated with the Dudjom Tersar lineage. He was empowered as the regent of His Holiness Dudjom Rinpoche and is currently passing on this lineage to this master's reincarnation, who lives primarily in central Tibet.
- Chatral Rinpoche; Zach Larson (editor) (2007). Compassionate Action. Snow Lion Publications. ISBN 9781559392716.
- Chatral Rinpoche Series by Lotsawa House
- "The great yogi Кyabje Chatral Rinpoche turns today 100years!". News. Ngagyur Shedrub Sungdrelling. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- His Holiness Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche
- Chatral Rinpoche and Abstaining From Eating Meat
- Sera Khandro @Rigpa Shedra
- Consorts and revelation in eastern Tibet : the auto/biographical writings of the Treasure revealer Sera Khandro (1892--1940)
- Chatral Rinpoche Series
- A translated biography of Chatral Rinpoche's life story (rnam thar)
- Declaration of Chatral Rinpoche With Regard to Misuse of His Name at April 2007
- Photograph with explanatory text