Chattanooga Christian School
|Chattanooga Christian School|
|3354 Charger Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37409
|School type||Private, coeducational, college preparatory|
|Enrollment||1154 (as of 2012-13)|
|Average class size||100|
|Student to teacher ratio||18 |
|Campus||40 acres (160,000 m2), urban |
|School colour(s)||Navy, gold|
|Athletics||TSSAA AA |
|Athletics conference||Appalachian Athletic Conference|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Endowment||$10 million |
|Affiliations||Christian Schools International|
|Website||Chattanooga Christian School|
Organized on February 4, 1970 by a group of parents as Lookout Mountain Christian School Association, the school was incorporated as a Georgia non-profit Corporation on June 30, 1972. In 1978, as the school grew and expanded to encompass more grade levels, a decision was made to move the school from Lookout Mountain to Chattanooga at its present location and change the name to Chattanooga Christian School, Inc. The move to the present campus was made in 1982. The school grew dramatically over the next thirty years. Chattanooga Christian School, is a Christian, interdenominational, co-educational, day school. It is a parent-directed school, working through an elected administrative Board of Directors, and accepts students in kindergarten through twelfth grades. Chattanooga Christian School is a member of Christian Schools International and is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Today the K-12 campus on Charger Drive encompasses over 40 acres of land, multiple buildings, and over 1,100 students.It is the largest private school in Hamilton County, Tennessee. The purpose of Chattanooga Christian School is to provide a quality educational program from a Biblical perspective, for children of Christian families, designed to prepare students to influence culture and society for Christ.
The school's present site, a former car dealership, was purchased in 1982. The initial 10-acre (40,000 m2) site was expanded by additional purchases over the years to encompass 40 acres (160,000 m2) and 6 buildings. The section of Broad Street in front of the school was renamed Charger Drive in early 2003.
List of Buildings and Fields
- Lower School Building
- Fourth and Fifth Grade Building (6 classrooms, 3 for each grade, made to make room for the changes in the Lower School layout)
- Middle School Building
- High School Building
- Auditorium and Gallery (connected to the High School building)
- Elementary School Gymnasium (connected to the Elementary School)
- Middle School Gymnasium (called the "Varsity Gym")
- High School Gymnasium (called the "Plastic Gym", connected to the High School building, and is used as a cafeteria for High Schoolers)
- Cafeteria (used only by Lower and Middle School students)
- Idustrial Arts Building (where industrial arts, or "shop" is held, includes an Auto CAD lab)
- One Baseball Field
- One Softball Field
- Two Soccer Fields (One of which was formerly the football field, and is encircled by a track, and has a small extra field used for Physical Education and Middle School football practice.)
- One Football Field (formerly a soccer field)
- One Multi-Purpose Field (used for Middle School football practice, as well as for the annual Field Day for the Lower School)
Chattanooga Christian School fields teams in interscholastic competition in baseball, basketball, bowling, cheering, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, strength & conditioning, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, and wrestling.
The athletic programs are growing steadily every year. A new multi-sport athletic facility will be fully complete for the 2015-2016 school year.
Chattanooga Christian High School has a large and well organized theater department. They put on a musical and a play every fall and spring semester, respectively. In the past they have done The Music Man, Bye Bye Birdie, and other broadway plays. Also, the middle school has done many musicals, including Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Annie Jr., and most recently, Seussical Jr.
- "Chattanooga Christian School - School Overview". Peterson's. 2008-03-04.
- "Member Schools: Chattanooga Christian School". Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association.
- Cooke, Christina and Dave Flessner (2006-12-18). "Private school growth faith-based". Chattanooga Times Free Press.
- "Chattanooga Christian School Celebrates 25 Years At Current Location". The Chattanoogan. 2007-05-10.
- "Street Name At CCS Will Be Charger Drive". The Chattanoogan. 2003-02-04.
- "Chattanooga Christian School To Begin Football Program". The Chattanoogan. 2006-04-15.